Xerte's Mechanics Analysis: BC, HC, REC, Drop Checks and Healing

Discussion in 'Guides' started by blackrobe, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Mysential

Mysential Level 18

If bf was able to apply decimals. That would take a dedicated amount of time so we don't get another GGC level leore.

2. Burr

Burr Level 60

Medals:
  3. Talukita

Talukita Moderator

Medals:
    A mini analysis about Lilly Matah and Naruza + BC when damaged mechanic:
    • Before we thought that Lilly generates flat BC from her 3-6 BC/damaged BB.
    • This means she has 25% chance to generate 3 BC, 25% chance to generate 4 BC, 25% for 5 and so on.
    • In other words around 50% of the time her BB will be worse than Naruza SBB.
    • However now that we discover that fractional BC exists in everything, Lilly can generate them because her BB ranges from 3.00 - 6.00
    • This means her BB can proc something like 3.55 BC, or 4. 26 BC, or 4. 68 BC and so on. If a unit needs 5 BC to use BB but gets 4.99 BC from the proc then it is still not fully filled.
    • The gap between Lilly BB and Naruza SBB now also becomes much bigger because of fractional BC, 200 chance out of 300 it will be worse than Naruza

=> Naruza SBB is very good and is much better than Lilly's BB if you manage to get the BC regen part somewhere. Ranging from 5.00 - 6.00 makes it become much more consistent overall. I guess people are so used to using Daruvanshel because he is much more straightforward, but I can see Naruza has quite the potential if you group him properly.

P.S Why doesn'tthis thread get stickied though, would be a waste for blackrobe to type all those things out just for it to die eventually.

AllenYeo and Bobus like this.
  4. Chobits

Chobits Level 46

Maybe I didn't read properly but I thought that it just got rounded up or down accordingly.

5. Himarie

Himarie Level 21

dunno if you all already know or not but reflected damage can produce BC
    my question
    how to determine the BC check of reflected damage? is it from the unit that have the reflect effect i.e melchio with providance ring will it generate 3 BC (based on drop check on melchio and also reflect damage is 1 hit) ? or is it depend on the enemy that hit i.e burny that attacking unit with reflect damage will it produce 2 BC (based on drop check per hit on burny) ? or it have it's own drop check for reflect damage ?

6. blackrobe

blackrobe Level 50

Medals:
    I think Dr. Mod on reddit (the one who write tons of unit analysis) might be interested with this. I'll look forward for what he thinks about this when I messaged him.

Ah, I don't mind about the thread's position here :p I'm just dragging what's on reddit, not easy to work on but it's satisfying me.
    Besides we got too many stickies because of AI banner poll, so maybe we can talk about it later. Not my priority or concern though if this thread got moved into the guide subforum or not in the future, any way it's fine for me.

Noted and asked to Xerte, I'm not sure if he got info about it from the datamine

7. Burr

Burr Level 60

Medals:
    I think Lilly is ether 3.00, 4.00, or 5.00, etc. Don't think she can proc like 3.5

8. SungheeJ

SungheeJ Level 16

Xerte and Deathmax said she can proc 3.55 etc.

9. blackrobe

blackrobe Level 50

Medals:
    from Xerte sent 2 hours ago
    I myself surprised it worked that way o_O

Bobus likes this.
  10. Himarie

Himarie Level 21

interesting...
    gonna trying providence ring + zeus bow (when sphere frog come) or ring + nalmika/lira/vishra LS
    it will be funny to see enemy paralyzed/debuffed by his own atk

blackrobe likes this.
  11. Burr

Burr Level 60

Medals:
    I've yet to see it in game then I guess

12. blackrobe

blackrobe Level 50

Medals:
    Updated for section 2

the first two paragraphs have been altered a little, to justify that drop checks did not affect HC and items (both seems to be related to hit counts, not drop checks)

13. blackrobe

blackrobe Level 50

Medals:
    Xerte have been releasing details on HC, REC, and healing mechanics on reddit

Working on it, should be done tomorrow >_> but asking permission here and there first

stewpiak likes this.
  14. blackrobe

blackrobe Level 50

Medals:
    Before we start, please read the disclaimer:
    1. This thread is merely a copy of the original one on Reddit. Original Reddit thread can be found here.
    2. This thread is posted at permission of the original author, the redditor u/Xerte, one of the moderators and guide authors on Reddit's Brave Frontier community. I am not Xerte, and I absolutely take no credit from this guide. All credit goes to original author.
    3. This thread is also made possible by the permission of AppInvasion's moderator @Burr
    4. The purpose of this cross-posting from Reddit is to further inform players that is not registered or rarely around on Reddit and for reading-convenience purposes.

Contents

Browse the post using these tags if you're coming back to look at a specific section.
    (reposter note: use the tag on the "find" function on your web browser)
    1. REC and REC Data Tables [RCD]
    2. HC Mechanics [HCM]
    3. HC Data Tables [HCD]
    4. Burst Healing [BHL]
    5. Burst Healing Data Tables [BHD]
    6. Regen Healing [RHL]
    7. Regen Healing Data Tables [RHD]
    8. Non-REC Healing + Data Tables [NRH]

1. REC and REC Data Tables
    [RCD]

This section needs to come first as it's a general overview of how REC stacking works.

Variables:
    • Base REC: The Unit's base REC. This is the unit's stats with no spheres, LS or buffs active.
    • Imp bonus: The unit's total stat bonus from REC imps. Imp Bonuses are counted as part of the base stat.
    • Sphere bonuses: % Stat bonuses from spheres. By the current sphere rules, no two spheres with % REC can be equipped at the same time.
    • LS bonuses: % Stat bonuses from LS.
    • BB Buffs: % Stat bonuses from a BB buff effect. Only one may be active, new buffs replace old buffs.
    • Sickness: This debuff is a 50% penalty that stacks in the same way as buffs.
    Formula for Total REC:
    Simple enough. You can see how spheres, LS and buffs stack additively, but they multiply the imp bonus as well as the base REC. We'll be re-using Total REC in a number of formulae down the line. Total REC always rounds down. Final Healing in all formulae always rounds down.

Table: List of REC Modifiers

Note that this table will leave out any spheres that directly state their REC bonus, because there are a huge amount of them. All units assume highest evolution and BB/SBB10.

RCD1.png

2. HC Mechanics
    [HCM]

When it comes to HC, there are two main factors to discuss - how their drop rate is calculated, and how their heal rate is calculated.

The HC drop rate formula is very similar to the BC drop rate formula. However, there's two major differences; firstly, HC have a much lower base drop rate at 10%. Secondly, and this needs to be stressed to the community as my BC guide had misinformation (which has since been fixed): drop checks have no known bearing on HC. You get HC rolls based purely on hit count. Additionally, there is no confirmed interaction with sparking outside specific LS and spheres. HC distribution is totally random within a few rules: HC are distributed only to units that are not at full HP when HC distribution begins, units can absorb more HC than they need, and regen healing does not occur before HC distribution. The HC drop rate formula is detailed as follows:

Variables:
    • Base Drop Rate: 10%, but can vary in some game modes (though not known to in any at present, the coding allows this)
    • Drop Rate Buffs: Anything from items, spheres, leader skills and BB effects (including both inherent bonuses and buffs). Like always, these stack together additively, and you may only have one active BB effect and one active item buff. Occasionally referred to as HC Production in skill or item descriptions.
    • Overkill Bonus: Doubles the final drop rate when attacking an enemy that's at 0 HP.
    • Enemy HC Drop Resistance: A stat which enemies can have that reduces the spawn rate of HC.
    The formula itself looks like this:
    As far as math goes in Brave Frontier, that's fairly simple. As far as I'm aware there's no cap on the HC drop rate, though there's no functional difference between values above 100% or between values below 0% - each hit can generate 1 or 0 HC; no more, and no less. The only argument in favour of going over 100% is to bypass enemy resistance, which is currently rare enough I'm not aware of any enemies that actually have it.

Example: Heidt uses his BB (30% Inherent Drop Rate) while buffed by Phee (25% Buff Drop Rate), wearing an Omni Gizmo (10% Drop Rate) and led by Elimo (20% Drop Rate), and somehow all his attacks are overkills (2x Drop Rate) on an enemy with 30% resistance:

With above a 100% HC drop rate, all of Heidt's hits will generate an HC. In his 6* form, that's 20 hits, so 20 HC. In fact, we're nearing 100% drop rate even without overkills,assuming an enemy has no resistance.

Next up is the HC healing formula. This is also, luckily, pretty simple.

Variables:
    • Total REC: The unit's total REC, after all buffs and debuffs.
    • HC Effectiveness Multiplier: A stat on a few leaderskills and spheres. It's multiplicative with REC bonuses, so it's actually fairly effective.
    • Random Factor: This is just a random number between 3.0 and 4.2 inclusive. The effective range is roughly 23.81% to 33.33%. It's rerolled for each individual HC.
    The HC healing formula is simple and looks like this:
    Example: 6* Heidt, Lord, with 60 REC from Imps, with Grah (+20% REC) and Elimo (+50% HC Effectiveness) leaders
    So Heidt heals in the range 638 to 894 per HC in this scenario.

3. HC Data Tables [HCD]

Drop Rate Increases
    HCD1.png

Inherent Drop Rate Increases

These are BB/SBB with a drop rate inherent to the skill that isn't extended to other units. SBB with this effect are known to scale the bonus as BB level increases (Except Heidt, his SBB HC inherent is fixed); BB with this effect do not scale with BB levels or with evolution.
    HCD2.png

Effectiveness Increases

Tia's effectiveness is the same at both 5 * and 6 * rarity
    HCD3.png

4. Burst Healing [BHL]

Burst Healing refers to any healing that occurs immediately after or during the use of a BB, SBB or item, with the exception of Lifesteal, which has its own section later on. While in the game's code the actual workings of burst healing are fairly complicated (there are several constants and multiple scaling factors), it can be simplified, and it's the simplified values which are shown in the datamine and which will be used in this post.

Variables:
    • Minimum Base Heal: The minimum value for the base heal.
    • Maximum Base Heal: The maximum value for the base heal. RNG between the minimum and maximum determines the base heal at time of use.
    • Healed Unit's Total REC: Total REC of the unit being healed.
    • Healer's Total REC: Total REC of the unit activating the burst heal. A unit healing itself uses the same REC for both values. Items use the healed unit's REC for both values.
    • Healer REC Mult: The total % of the healer's REC added to final healing.
    The formula looks like this:
    Example: Lord Lilith is healed by SBB 10 Elimo (3160-3360 base heal, 27% REC bonus)

5. Burst Healing Data Tables [BHD]

These tables will include farmable healers, as new players are generally stuck with them for at least a little while. Units/items with identical data are merged.
    BHL1.png

6. Regen Healing [RHL]

Regen healing refers to healing that occurs after the turn ends. It exists on a variety of spheres, BB buffs, leader skills and even one consumable. Regen healing is calculated similarly to burst healing, and occurs at the very end of the turn - after HC distribution, meaning that a unit that would heal to full via regen will still absorb HC.

Regen healing is calculated using the same variables and formula as Burst Healing. The major difference is that the REC % Bonus is always 10% for regen healing. This means that regen healing is relatively unaffected by REC buffs and debuffs, as at high level, regen heals can have a base value more than 10x the bonus healing they get from REC. As a plus, this means they're relatively unaffected by Sickness.

The formula, for quick reference:

7. Regen Healing Data Tables [RHD]

RHD1.png

There are two spheres called Phoenix Eye. They have different icons - crafted is grey, FH is purple (or same colour as Legwand). The FH Phoenix Eye sells for 10000 zel, the crafted/arena one only sells for 6000 zel.

8. Non-REC Healing + Data Tables [NRH]

This section is devoted to healing types that don't rely on REC at all. This includes Lifesteal, Heal on Kill, Heal on Wave End, Chance to Recover Damage Taken and Reviving.

Lifesteal
    Lifesteal, usually referred to in-game as "(chance to) absorb HP when attacking", has 3 factors - chance to activate, minimum damage% absorbed, and maximum damage% absorbed. The game rolls RNG twice - once to check that the effect activates, and again to determine the % of the damage dealt that will be absorbed. Lifesteal spheres work with BB and SBB. Formula:
    NRH1.png

Heal on Kill
    Heal on Kill is a relatively rare effect currently only found on spheres. It heals based on a % of max HP when it activates; RNG determines the exact %. The equipped unit is the one which receives the healing, but only if it lands the killing blow. The activation rate is 100%. Formula:
    NRH2.png

Heal on Wave End
    Another rare form of healing found only on spheres to date. The formula is the same as Heal on Kill, but the equipped unit doesn't need to be the one to score the last kill for the wave.
    NRH3.png

Chance to Recover Damage Taken
    Yet another rare effect, found mostly on spheres with a few leader skills popping up in the future. This effect has a chance to activate, an RNG range on how much it heals (note that no current sources actually use this part yet) and scales off the damage taken. I'd expect it can't save a unit from death if the attack would bring it to 0 HP. Formula:
    NRH4.png

Revival
    A rare effect found on some items, but rare only in that not much provides it - easily acquired by players. Revival only works on dead units and brings them to life with a % of their max HP. A simple enough effect that I don't need a formula to demonstrate.
    NRH5.png

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  15. blackrobe

blackrobe Level 50

Medals:
    hnnngg :confused: nobody wants to add/ask something? Then I think I'll ask @Steven Nguyen to merge this into the BC mechanics part. :oops:

16. Steverion

Steverion Moderator

Medals:
    Merged. Feel free to edit anything you wish.

DefinitelyNotAri and blackrobe like this.
  17. MyRubberDuckie

MyRubberDuckie Level 9

that's alot of useful information, have to go through at some stage. thanks

18. Brohamster

Brohamster Level 9

I heard global maxwell only has 1 drop check per hit on her sbb. Truth?

19. Talukita

Talukita Moderator

Medals:
    That is a normal thing, she only got buffed to 2 drop checks per SBB hit very recently.

Brohamster and Trytun like this.
  20. Brohamster

Brohamster Level 9

Oh I see. Thank you for the explanation. Seems weird they would buff an already powerful unit. Is it the same case with Douglas too?