Was Anakin not the chosen one?

Discussion in 'General' started by Shlink, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Shlink

Shlink Level 28

I'm curious what other SW peeps think.

Did Anakin not prove himself to be the Chosen One when he killed the Emperor (Return of the Jedi) and caused the fall of the Empire? Or does all the evil in between cancel that out?

2. roadburn12

roadburn12 Level 34

Imo he completed the prophecy when he brought about the fall of the Jedi.

The prophecy was to bring balance to the force, in the times of the republic the balance was shifted so far over to the light considering there was thousands of Jedi vs 2 sith. Order 66 decimated the order leaving only yoda and obi as the last living Jedi masters (and a few others survived but I'm ignoring them) which balanced the light/dark sides of the force.

3. ScottP

ScottP Level 30

It always made me chuckle how silly the Jedi were with that prophecy. There are lots of Jedi and no Sith in the galaxy. I think a 5 year old could see what two ways that could change if it were to become 'balanced'!

sarahshukla and Shlink like this.
  4. Cloney McStudent

Cloney McStudent Level 18

Pretty useless prophecy it seems, since after the fact anything could happen again. Sure it came true, but so what, it didn't seem to have any lasting effect.

5. Peon Grief

Peon Grief Level 14

More Jedi than Sith yes but was there more light than dark/good than evil. Surely Jedi and Sith are just those who have mastered their side of the force?

6. Corrog

Corrog Level 44

I'm one of those who believe Anakin DID bring balance, but Disney needed new stories so it has to be retconned. I think the new direction will hinge on a Yoda quote from the prequels, "A prophecy that, misread, could have been."

Kylo has an 8-pack and Shlink like this.
  7. skywlkr76

skywlkr76 Level 41

But how much did Anakin have to do with Order 66? That was all set in motion before he ever tuned to the dark side.

THEROBIN likes this.
  8. LLAL

LLAL Level 35

From a canon perspective I feel that around Empire there was balance in the Force, since (in canon) there were really only 2 users of the Light side (Yoda and Luke) and 2 users of the Dark side (Vader and Sidious).

Nick13 and Shlink like this.
  9. Ninobf

Ninobf Level 14

Inb4 konami adding a new 5* ani (not the chosen one)

Leaterus likes this.
  10. roadburn12

roadburn12 Level 34

Well he wasn't part of the planning he did play a fairly large role in bringing the plan to fruition when he stormed the Jedi temple and slaughtered everything in sight

Kylo has an 8-pack likes this.
  11. Crivvens

Crivvens Level 17

Don't get more balanced than 2 good master and apprentice and 2evil master and apprentice

12. Hu Chi

Hu Chi Level 41

Really? Did the entire population of Dathomir get killed off, and I just don't remember?

There are literally millions of canon Force users, both Light and Dark...... there were only a few Sith or Jedi, but neither of these disciplines hold a monopoly of users of their side of the force.

13. LLAL

LLAL Level 35

Most did, yes, but mainly the females (by Grievous and the droid army), and the males weren't exceptionally Force sensitive.
    Some groups are (from the wiki): "Force-sensitive organizations included the Force wielders;[4]Force Priestesses;[5] the Nightsisters of Dathomir;[6] and theDagoyan Masters of Bardotta.[7]"

The Force wielders (the Ones) are balanced since the Light daughter and Dark son were killed, and the only remaining member (canon, since Abeloth was considered a One) is staying neutral.
    The Force Priestesses are just emotions, not related to Force affiliations.
    The Nightsisters (by the Galactic Cilvil War) had one living member.
    The Dagoyan Masters had no real Force affiliation and were mainly neutral.
    The Inquisitorius was dissolved before 0 BBY.
    The Jedi are nearly all dead.
    There are really only 2 Sith (unless Snoke is Dark at that time).

There aren't many groups that are canon now, but based on Legends, there never truly was balance in the Force.

Dude from Flurry likes this.
  14. Hu Chi

Hu Chi Level 41

Well, my point (perhaps not clearly expressed) was that the vast, vast, vast majority of Force users belong to no organization at all, and are mostly self-trained.

15. Hu Chi

Hu Chi Level 41

And wasn't Grievous attack only against the Nightsisters? That was just a single one of the many clans on that planet.

EDIT....huh, So I only remember the Nightsisters being attacked, but a peek at wookiepedia says the CIS did assault the whole population.

16. LLAL

LLAL Level 35

So not really Dark or Light, some (probably most) not even knowing that they are Force sensitive. I do see your point, though, as canon hasn't really explored those Force sensitives.
    From the canon wiki "Dathomirians, also known as Dathomiri, were a species native to the planetDathomir. The word also referred to members of the Nightbrothers, a clan ofZabraks who had been taken to Dathomir to live under the rule of the Nightsisters.[7]During the Clone Wars much of the species was eradicated due to earning the ire of the Sith, and by the time of the Galactic Civil War, the only known survivors wereDarth Maul and Shelish."

17. Hu Chi

Hu Chi Level 41

Haha, too slow....I got my edit in a few minutes before you got your response in :) Usually I'm the slower typer

LLAL likes this.
  18. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

This may be a bit out of left field, but I see some huge parallels between the TCW Mortis arc, and the Kylo/Luke/Rey relationship. If Luke eventually truly restores balance to the force, then so ultimately does Anakin, by proxy of going against all mandates, and procreating.

19. EllBringa

EllBringa Level 44

Medals:
    I forgot what the source was, but I recall someone official from Lucasfilms stating that "balance" canon-wise was actually the elimination of the dark side, not the 2 LS and 2 DS leftover.

So Anakin was TCO and fulfilled his destiny by killing Emperor Palp.
    He just took a very, very winding path to fulfill said destiny.

Shlink and Excellentkarma like this.
  20. Yasmin1334

Yasmin1334 Level 6

My understanding is that anakin created the balance of the force when he threw Palpatine down the shaft. Since Palpatine loved to just outright kill people, he would have thrown the force out of balance by the killing of multi billions of sentience. Anakin would have balanced that by riding the galaxy of a psychopathic mass murder.

Btw even yoda said the jedi interpretation of the prophesy was probably wrong.