The Captain & Commander's Lounge

Discussion in 'Legions' started by GQ79, Oct 23, 2014.

1. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

So I've been here for a minute now, and would like to contribute. I am the Captain of -The Rebel Alliance- , and hope to both find some advice, and give some, by starting this thread. I'd like this to be a place where all levels of Legion Captain can come for advice, help, or maybe just the comraderie of others in this unique position of responsibility within the game. I'm sure many of us have encountered difficult, or frustrating situations, as well as rewarding, and gratifying ones. This is here now as a place to share these experiences, and hopefully help one another. I DO REQUEST THAT ALL CONVERSATIONS POSTED HERE REMAIN CONSTRUCTIVE AND CIVIL. Would really hope that we can all keep this from turning into a whine thread... not sure there would be enough cheese to go around. @MetalGeekMark : I'd be honored if you could occaisionally pop in for a look if all goes well. @ all my other fellow Captains: The Lounge is now officially OPEN!!

This thread is not for recruitment or merger posts. Thanks :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  2. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

I'll start off with my own first topic. The majority of my guys are F2P, with some occaisional spenders. Our attendance since school has been in session has dropped. As a solution we're working on creating a sister "casual" ship for those who are going to be unable to commit for LAW for any signifigant period of time. Also looking to be able to tap players to fill slots when necessary, and use as a training ground of sorts for players that fit our legions ideals, but may be lacking in enough strength to serve any purpose on our main ship. This is new ground for us, so any advice would be appreciated. There are more details I could share, but in the interest of helping anyone who may be expanding as well, I'll keep any furher specifics out unless necessary. Thanks in advance!!

3. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

Also Interested in whether or not any of you take an active role in rationing ship upgrades.

Oh yeah... and "THWOK!!"

4. MetalGeekMark

MetalGeekMark Moderator

Medals:
    Hello. I do ration upgrades. 5k legion points (500,000 credits) per player. It's enough to get the gold pack and with 37 players it's enough to finish all the upgrades, especially now that you only lose half the levels.

thill, Nick13, Apollyon and 3 others like this.
  5. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

There's life in the Lounge!! That was where my math brought me. What I really need are suggestions on enforcement. It's always been a back-burner issue that nagged at me. Most recently, I had the 2 guys that single-handedly maxed it in less than an hour purchase silver packs and distribute them throughtout the crew, excluding command. I've been trying to make this fair for everyone for a while, but now there's a line in the sand.

6. Pilco

Pilco Level 21

Yes on the good ship L.O.L (#1 x2 ;)) we ask that you only charge up to 5k so everyone gets enough for a gold tix or some blueprints. Have some thoughts on your first post about sister/training legion too but I have the kids atm and cant get them down, will try later. Great idea for a thread btw, am part of a similar operation on Line where we have a room of Captains to share details about scammers & operational issues etc, PM me your id if you use Line.

Miiff

GQ79 likes this.
  7. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!! I don't have line, but been considering it for a while now. Might want to bring that one up as a seperate topic. The laundry list of bad reviews I see each time I look at it has me hesitant to put it on my not so spectacular tablet.

8. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

Hey, Captains!! Just because I opened with a question, doesn't mean I can't help with yours. We're rank 27 overall by the swfcstats.com list, and didn't get there through luck!! Lol:) ASK AWAY!!

9. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

Not willing to give up on this yet, bump.

10. Mcnumpty789

Mcnumpty789 Level 16

Hello from The Old Republic, after finishing 99th in LAW 6 we had a bit of an implosion due to inactive leadership, we lost a dozen of or best players to their old or rival legions. This led to a change in leadership which leaves me in a " position of responsibility" lol. Any advice you can give on ethical recruiting would be great.

Cheers
    Mac

11. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

Don't know how I missed your post man. Sorry for the delay!! Curious to what you mean by ethical, but I can tell you how I do it.

12. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

First and foremost, you need to have a solid idea of what your goals as a legion are. May sound simple, but can be much more complex. Once you've established that, recruitment should follow suit. I cannot stress enough how important patience is in recruiting. We interview each applicant that shows interest and fits certain criteria posted on our legion page. Determine a minimum rank that fits your goals, remember that strength of form can be built, strength of character cannot. Take some time to get a feel for the guy's, or gal's personality, and what level commitment they are willing to give, (ie. 2/3 battles per LAW etc). ALWAYS ask why they are leaving, or left their past legion, and once you're done asking them questions, give them a chance to ask you some. Sometimes you learn more from their questions than their answers. Depending on what your goal as a legion is, and if it matters in context, ask if t's their primary acct. Not sure this is the answer you're looking for, but hope it helps. I also have any potential check our roster for allies. It's not a requirement, but it's nice to be able to ask someone you know, their impression of someone you don't know, if possible.

13. Mcnumpty789

Mcnumpty789 Level 16

Very helpful advice, cheers bud,. Been playing for over a year but new to being in charge lol

14. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

Wasn't 100% I was answering precisely the question asked, but glad to help. You know where to find me. I'm changing my alert to get a notification if there's a post here to avoid a miss like earlier. Sorry about that!!

15. Mcnumpty789

Mcnumpty789 Level 16

Don't worry bud, I organised a merge so were better off and now in a position to pick and choose any new members

GQ79 likes this.
  16. Hepcat Manchu

Hepcat Manchu Level 11

Would you consider opening this to commanders as well? I know we work closely with our captain and believe that's the way it works in most of the higher ranking legions.

Would definitely be interested in participating.

Sir-Shootalot and GQ79 like this.
  17. GQ79

GQ79 Level 52

Definitely, now that there's some traffic I'll adjust the title.

Edit: not the most original, but serves for now I suppose.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  18. Indibil

Indibil Level 30

League of Gentlemen's Captain reporting for banter and chitchat.

We're still rebuilding after the spenders left the game. Looks like it's going to be harder that what the crew thought it'd be. We're taking a more casual approach to the game now, which is healthy. Yet, somehow, we find ourselves still in the top100 LaW bracket, which ain't fun without those heavy hitters. We're still holding and participating, though.

EDIT: Also, on the recruiting front, this feeder ship malarkey that is going around is kind of driving me nuts. I know it makes sense to the ones doing it, but I don't get the appeal for the people joining.

That last bit is my opinion, nothing personal for those doing it/people joining those ships.

Mcnumpty789 and GQ79 like this.
  19. Sir-Shootalot

Sir-Shootalot Level 23

Loving this @GQ79 !

Captain of the 5.0.1st here.

GQ79 likes this.
  20. Sir-Shootalot

Sir-Shootalot Level 23

Our legion has also had a kind of merge, we had 4/5 recruits come in from another legion that they were not happy with. I prefer having members that have worked together in the past, also made one a commander which again was very beneficial for the legion.