Suggested Auction Rules

Discussion in 'Auctions' started by RainBuckets, Mar 21, 2014.

1. RainBuckets

RainBuckets Level 54

Medals:
    A NOTE FROM THE MODERATORS:
    If you are found to be using multiple accounts to bid on your own auctions all your accounts will be banned. No questions asked, zero tolerance.

Disclaimer
    These are suggested guidelines. It is highly recommended you follow most or all of them, but the auctioneer has final say in their auction.

Important Definitions
    It is in your best interest to know these terms.

1. Reserve - The minimum card(s), ticket(s), or other item(s) of value that is/are capable of winning the auction. If the winning bid at the end of the auction is not at least the reserve, the auction ends without a winner.

2. Minimum Bid - The minimum card(s), ticket(s), or other item(s) of value that must be included in an offer. Any bid that does not contain the minimum bid is an invalid bid and will be ignored.

3. Instant Win, a.k.a. Buyout - Any bid containing or comprised exclusively of the buyout will win the auction immediately, no questions asked, and the auction will be closed.

Extremely Highly Strongly Suggested
    You should probably do this for your auction.

1. BE SPECIFIC! Don't just say, "best offer wins if no offer is made that I like I will close without a winner". That is not helpful at all. What do you expect to get? Which cards are valued higher for you? What about remotes? Tickets?

Strongly Suggested
    Be aware that these rules are almost considered mandatory for auctions to be well run.

1. Include a specific end time, with time zone. Alternatively, you can opt to use this website: http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/create, or even both.

2. No PM bids or in-game bids, it's too easy to fake to try and drive up prices. All bids should be posted as a reply to the thread.

3. It is highly recommended, that if you're not using a point system, to explain why certain bids are ranked higher than others. Then people know what you're looking for, and how you value cards/remotes/tickets.

4. Add SPECIFIC rules regarding the retraction of bids. For example:

"The top bid is prohibited from retracting their offer. If you make a bid, and I am not here to determine if it is the new top bid, you may NOT retract it until further confirmation. If you are not the top bid, feel free to retract your offer."

5. Do not cancel your auction, unless the reserve is not met.

Suggested
    These are more optional, but can help make an auction run smoothly.

1. Add a period of extra time to prevent sniping. For example, "auction officially ends at the end time or 10 minutes after the last new winning bid, whichever is later".

2. Add a notice before the auction ends to remind people about end time - 2 hour and 1 hour bumps are a good place to start.

3. Add a minimum bid or a reserve, or even both. (See the top for definitions; use properly, please.) This protects you from getting a lowball offer, and being forced to accept it. BE SPECIFIC!

4. Insant win clauses, or buyout: BE SPECIFIC!

Punishments
    Should someone break the auction rules (auctioneer included), some good consequences can include the below.

1.Leave negative feedback. Please only do this if the action is warranted, and if you specifically state that negative feedback will be a consequence. Be careful with this.

2. Ban the rule breaker from your future auctions.

3. Let other people know what the person did, and to be careful when accepting their bids.

4. A good way to implement #2 and #3 is to include a list of banned people from your auctions in your signature, along with what they did.

5. Be specific with your punishments. Let others know ahead of time that breaking "this" rule will lead to "this" consequence, and "that" rule leads to "that" consequence. Specifically state what you will do and what actions are disallowed, so ignorance cannot be an excuse.

My Personal Auction Template (Sample)

Immediately followed by:
    Final Notes
    If you take away one thing from this...

BE SPECIFIC! I can't stress this enough. The more, the better.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  2. Brehmerman

Brehmerman Level 19

My favorite are the lazy "Auctions" where the OP is clearly just trying to get maximum value out of their card without actually setting any auction guidelines like an end time or updating on high bidders.

3. Obl1

Obl1 Level 10

We could add a suggested bidder rule:

Don't bid for a clear lower value than the winning bid
    Don't bid card you don't have
    Don't retract your bid if it is the actual winning bid
    Don't bid if you can't wait untill the end of the auction
    Don't sold your card if they are used in your bid and that bid is leading...

Xesh and ALX like this.
  4. RainBuckets

RainBuckets Level 54

Medals:
    I posted in general, the rough draft, and first draft. This is the final, pretty much. Should've chimed in earlier.

5. Obl1

Obl1 Level 10

value is subjective but if there is a 4/7 jango on winning bid why try to take lead bidding a 4/7 zuckuss??

6. RainBuckets

RainBuckets Level 54

Medals:
    The correct response is a simple, "You are not the new leading bid." They can try with the Zuckuss, but it won't get them anywhere.

If they want to, they could bid ten 8-15 2* cards. They could bid a single 1* card. They can bid whatever.

That's part of why specifying a minimum bid or a reserve is a suggested rule. Even if not, however, just a simple ignoring or "not leading bid" is enough.

DjangoFett1154 likes this.
  7. RainBuckets

RainBuckets Level 54

Medals:
    Bump, updated Important Definitions, updated with new Punishment section.

8. Darth Carnifex

Darth Carnifex Level 31

could you change the blue color font to something more bright please? my eyes hurt...

something like this or this

Mr luke likes this.
  9. RainBuckets

RainBuckets Level 54

Medals:
  10. Darth Carnifex

Darth Carnifex Level 31

yay! Thank you! :)

11. ALX

ALX Level 15

How about:

Bidders shall not try to top the current leading high bid with a "+ a garbage card" bid, i.e.:
    High bid is a 4/7 Mace, then...
    Mr. Jerk-face bids 4/7 Mace + Sebulba

If you intend on having your bid win, don't be a dick and don't do this. Most auctioneers will simply ignore these users. I have a habit of quietly disregarding *all* bids from that bidder, however.

The unwritten auction rule should just address both auctioneers and bidders: "Don't be a dick."

Xesh likes this.
  12. RainBuckets

RainBuckets Level 54

Medals:
    I haven't actually seen that happen all that often, so I don't think it needs to be included in the OP. In addition, because the auctioneer decides what is the leading bid, he could just as easily say that is not the new top bid, and explain that his binder is near full, or he just hates Sebulba that much. See "Strongly Suggested" #3.

13. Indibil

Indibil Level 30

People really need to understand the difference between minimum bid and reserve. Truly. No effin' way I'm going to start up an auction bid with a minimum bid that's equal (if not higher) in value to the card(s) being auctioned.

14. Calind

Calind Level 16

I wish this was in place awhile ago, I definitely feel like I wasn't a good auctioner when I did it, I think my skills are in the department of bidding!

15. Carl

Carl Level 6

Hi just a newby!! My re-action to "+gabage cards" technically they r still cards and 4/7 mace to a 4/7 mace + sebulba is still better. In real life auction even a dollar is taken into consideration just because it is higher than the previous bid. Or like most of u do from the start of auction indicate what card u don't want to be part of the bidding war!
    Ah my re-action to don't bid if u can't wait to the end of the auction: is kind of selective. We have different time zone and we can't stay up until 4 AM just to see if u won it or u have to bid more then in 3 hrs u have to wake up for work! If they bid and is the winning bid leave a msg to contact within a reasonable hrs to claim and verify the bid!
    Also do u want the auction to have a maximum card limit in the sense of how many cards can u bid, up to 10 cards or more!
    Just my opinion! From a newby! Lol!

16. RainBuckets

RainBuckets Level 54

Medals:
    That's why "+garbage cards" aren't in my OP. That falls under rule #3, Strongly Suggested. Basically if the auctioneer so chooses, bidding Bib/Sebulba/AnaKid could possibly result in negative points.

"Don't bid if you can't wait for the auction to end" falls under #4, Strongly Suggested, in which winning bids should not be retracted, and a clear punishment stated for doing so. If the punishment fits the crime, then said punishment should deter people from "bidding if they cannot wait", as they run the risk of taking the punishment.

A maximum card limit is sort of up to the auctioneer, it's not a bad idea, but unless the person has serious trust issues, then it really isn't necessary. There is a trader blacklist in the sticky, so scammers suffer a public shaming as well as negative feedback, if so needed. One possible solution is that the card of the auctioneer is only traded on the last 10 cards of the most value, with the other being traded as a random stack card. In the case of a level up service, collateral can be used.

Solid ideas, but kind of already covered.

17. Plo Koon

Plo Koon Level 16

hey just wondering, how do you put the stuff like your info on the bottom separated by a dotted line? Like yours has your trade list site and stuff

18. RainBuckets

RainBuckets Level 54

Medals:
    Probably the wrong place to ask, but...

Go to your name in the top right corner of the site. Hover your mouse over it, and underneath:

Your Name
    Your Level

Your Profile Page

there should be two columns of text, showing different features. On the left column, underneath "personal details", it should say, "signature". That's were you edit it.

19. Plo Koon

Plo Koon Level 16

Thanks! Sorry for asking

20. RainBuckets

RainBuckets Level 54

Medals:
    No problem at all ;)