Special Gear Ideas

Discussion in 'Gears and Materials' started by Kilmasis, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Kilmasis

Kilmasis Level 12

So, I've been theorycrafting some ideas on what Special/Custom gears to put on what heroes/villains. Would appreciate input from everyone on what could probably be better.

Priority List:
    1 - Survival (Dodge)
    2 - Damage (Elemental Damage / Crit)
    3 - Reliability (Dodge Ignore)
    4 - Stability (Stun/Web resist)
    5 - Healing (Recovery Rate)

Explanation: Unless you're fighting Bullseye on VS, Survival should always be priority. Longer Life = More Damage.

Things I like to give Dodge to:
    - Things that already dodge a lot or have Dodge as a main option. If they can dodge it, they can now do it better. Virtually not being able to be hit is the best thing ever in Arena. Can't count the number of times my Destroyer dodges Spidey's final Web hit and NOT get webbed.
    Eg: Destroyer/BW

- Things that survive a lot (eg. Vision, Cap America). They're already survivors or are hard to get hit. Let's make them even harder to hit.
    Eg: Vision. Wubwub.

Things I like to give Damage to:
    - Anything that has an element, should get more. Elemental type damage only applies to a number of heroes, so that's great and all (goes up to 50% increased damage; that's a LOT). Anything that DOESN'T have Dodge on an Orange Gear option but has Crit, gets Crit, ONLY if they have skills that do a lot of multihits. Things that do 1-off hits like Drax, I ignore Damage, cuz the chances are too small. Things like Gamora that hits SO many times, please have more.
    Eg: Thor (Lightning) / Angela (Crit Rate)

Things I like to give Dodge Ignore to:
    - Anything that doesn't fit into the above 2 categories. No Dodge, no skills worth having Crit, and I'm bringing them into the Arena. Outside of the arena I'm not sure if there's a point.
    Eg: Ronan

Things I like to give Stability to:
    - ...Guys that I send specifically to fight Spiderman in the arena (Ultron with anti-Speed uniform).
    - ...Guys I send to farm Ronan.
    - ...virtually nothing else. Really, I don't see a point to it.
    Eg: Ultron / Whatever-I'm-Using-To-Farm-Ronan-And-Drax

Things I like to give Healing to:
    - Groot and Blade. They're worthless on anyone else.
    Eg: Seriously?

2. J4x

J4x Level 13

I would rate Ignore Dodge lower or at least equal to Stability Gear, because it is very situational. It is only really helpful against heroes that have either the Dodge gear (you'll have to guess if they have it) or a natural high Dodge (in which case it will be max 10-15% or something). And even in those situations it's always better to have your own Dodge gear equipped, as it's bonus is a lot bigger than Ignore Dodge. The Stability Gears have specific counters, so that will at least help if you have trouble against a particular enemy, but Ignore Dodge is just too weak.

Damage gears are indeed best used with heroes that focus on a specific type of damage. I would also only use them if the hero has at least 2 or more skills with that elemental type, otherwise its use is quite limited. The Crit Rate and Crit Damage gears I would use on those who have both in their orange gear stats, and at least 1 of them as a primary stat (while the secondary stat will also grow with each level, it is a bit lower than the primary stat).

3. J4x

J4x Level 13

Will the recovery rate gear work on Cage's passive?

4. Zyraz

Zyraz Moderator

Yes

5. andi_kan

andi_kan Moderator

Medals:
    Need opinions. Which gears would you guys recommend for my current heroes?
    - Captain America (currently using Crit Damage). Base stats = crit rate 6.54%, crit damage = 117..97% without special gear
    - Ronan (currently Recovery). Base crit rate = 4.92%, crit damage = 126.04%
    - Iron Man (currently Crit Rate). Base crit rate = 9.94%, crit damage = 119.2%

And lastly, Hulk... I realise he's a damage guy, but would it be better to further boost his crit rate/damage, or his survivability?

6. J4x

J4x Level 13

Strictly speaking in terms of best gear, Dodge wins hands down. That amount of boost just cannot be beaten by any other Special Gear at the moment.

That said, I prefer to amplify a characters traits, instead of just slapping Dodge on everyone. (Also, I doubt whether the numbers really stack up, when I look at how often a hero with 33% Dodge gets hit, it doesn't feel like 33%.. But that's another issue).
    Anyway, looking at the heroes:

- Captain America: is all about being one of the best tanks in the game. His leadership adds massive HP, his uniform adds invulnerability and one of his primary stats is Dodge, so here I would focus on increasing his survivability by using a Dodge gear. If you prefer, you could also go with a Recovery gear, since it'll heal a lot each time, but because healing is very random and situational, you're probably better of with the constant working Dodge.

- Ronan: I don't have him on high levels yet and I can't view his primary and secondary gear stats (the orange ones) at the moment, so not entirely sure what to put on him. Looking at his crit stats, I would normally put a Crit Rate gear on such a character, so his Crit Damage will be more effective. But in the case of Ronan, he hits quite slow, which makes his offense less effective. How are his skills? If he has many multi-hit skills, it might still be worth it. (Also depends if you use him for stage clearing or boss fights).

- Iron Man: Is a tricky one, I haven't figured out what's best for him either. He doesn't have anything that a Special Gear will augment. He only has one of the two crit stats as an orange one and Dodge as a secondary stat and that's it. You might go for either a Dodge which is always useful, or a Crit Damage gear, so his Crit Rate stat isn't totally useless..

- Hulk: I have him but haven't really checked him out yet, so no idea yet. He has no dodge at all though, and is entirely built for offense, so I would lean towards a Crit gear.

7. Kilmasis

Kilmasis Level 12

Captain America - Dodge. He already survives like crazy. Why not more? He doesn't have any skills that are multihit, so for me, Crit Rate is not necessary. Crit Damage is kinda pointless if there are no Crits.

Ronan - I've had a +20% crit rate gear on him and I have to say that seeing him hit for 10K damage is really satisfying. That being said, I decided to switch to Dodge gear instead for increased survivability. He doesn't have a fancy dodge amount, but dodging that Spiderman's Web hit is really satisfying.

Ironman - He's got Crit Rate on his last Gear as a primary Orange, so I just dunked Crit Rate on him. I barely use him anyway, other than in VS.

Hulk - He has a huge Crit Damage modifier already, and a 2ndary Crit Rate. He doesn't have good multihits, but when he crits it's really satisfying. That being said, he might be better off with Dodge Ignore. But I gave him crit damage anyway xD

8. andi_kan

andi_kan Moderator

Medals:
    Thanks guys. I guess I agree that Cap should be using Dodge, I just couldn't come to that conclusion all by myself. I didn't mention this, perhaps it might change your minds though. My Cap has the Silent Night ISO set, which occasionally gives him 20% HP recovery. For missions, that isn't too useful but I figured if I used a HP booster, that number would be close to 40% HP recovery and it would be awesome in VS or arena. Of course, VS is more about dealing damage due to the 2 minute timer, but I thought it might be awesome to have that.

Ronan as you said, is hard cos he is slow as hell... but his AOE is pretty impressive. I think I will slap a Crit Rate on him.

9. J4x

J4x Level 13

You know, I am starting to re-evaluate the Recovery gear. Many people have put it near the bottom of the priority list, because it was too chancy, either proccing at the wrong moment (ISO's and abilities) or dependant on healing orbs.

However, slapping a 100%+ Recovery Rate gear on someone will effectively double the healing when it does proc, meaning around 40%. Put it on heroes that already have Recovery Rate in their gear stats might even boost it to 50%, in other words they'll heal half of their entire health bar, that's crazy!

Of course the problem mentioned is still in effect and as such it's not very useful in VS or Arena, but I can see it have lots of potential in missions that are hard to beat. Use this gear and a healing ISO bonus and when you get to the end of the stage, wait a minute for the ISO cooldown time, and you basically have the hero fresh and ready to go again. I don't know if the multiplayer battles have a timer or not, but it might be worth considering it for those battles too..

10. Zyraz

Zyraz Moderator

I think if there are enough groots running around in multiplay - or your regular group has a groot running in it... then recovery rate will definitely pay off in multiplay for any hero. They are 5minute boss battles, chances are you will be healing a lot

11. Kilmasis

Kilmasis Level 12

Imagine everyone running Groots.

"Healing!" "Healing on CD." "Okay my turn!"

Infinite heals OP.

12. andi_kan

andi_kan Moderator

Medals:
    That's pretty much what I'm thinking. I have some Dodge and Recovery gears to spare so gonna be testing both for my Cap.