Soooo... everythings gone?

Discussion in 'General' started by Slamsam88, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Slamsam88

Slamsam88 Level 27

So I took a year off (left end January/ begin February) to focus on some personal things in life (everything is fine now :)). I wanted to open the app today but it said I didn't have internet connection. So i checked my internet connection and I checked the App Store for any updates on the app! Didn't work. I immediately checked appinvasion and then I found out that Star Wars force collection has been shut down completely... so does this mean every Euro I spend on this game the last few years are gone just like that? Every card is just gone... a bit fucked up... r.i.p SWFC I guess....

2. hammy~the~hamsta

hammy~the~hamsta Level 59

Yeah it shut down almost exactly a year ago. Had a couple months notice. But yes, everything is gone.

Slamsam88 likes this.
  3. Slamsam88

Slamsam88 Level 27

Wooooow.... and what's more fucked up is that the announcement was in the exact same month I left in.... Bit of a dick move by Konami....

4. hammy~the~hamsta

hammy~the~hamsta Level 59

Yeah it sure did suck. It was highly suspected that it was Disney behind the shut down though. Konami was just on autopilot and would have continued the game as long as they were still making any profit.

Dannik Jerikko and Slamsam88 like this.
  5. Slamsam88

Slamsam88 Level 27

Idk About you, but i've spend A LOT on this game... and with a lot i really mean A LOT. Wished I just sold my account when I left when it was worth something... Welp I guess it's #fuckDisney from now on.

6. Dannik Jerikko

Dannik Jerikko Moderator

Yes. Game is gone. Sorry to hear bud. That sucks.

Side note, some guys are playing a game called "Raid: Shadow Legends" now. A few others are playing Star Wars GOH. They're both pretty fun so far.

Ace [Sith] and Slamsam88 like this.
  7. Slamsam88

Slamsam88 Level 27

I guess I'll check those games out then. Cheers Dannik :)!

Dannik Jerikko likes this.
  8. GiantPenguinCavalier

GiantPenguinCavalier Level 46

exactly how is it fucked up? and how does them shutting down the game the same month you left make it more fucked up? did you own the cards on your account? seems to me like konami had every right to shut their own game down whenever they felt like it, because it was their game. they at least did the community a favor by giving us a 2 month heads up.

iirc, disney wanted either more control (money) over SWFC, or wanted to charge konami a bigger license fee for using the star wars brand (again, money). given the amount of fucks konami had to spare in the last 9 months of the game (one: are we still making X amount of profit), and that they had seemingly by that point staffed the SWFC division with a bunch of bonobos who only occasionally screwed up pressing the wrong button to keep the servers active, konami decided that it wasnt worth the hassle (ie, the amount of money that wouldnt be going into their pockets), and folded shop. so essentially, it was two greedy entities that led to the shutdown of SWFC, which to be honest, was a probably a mercy kill given the state of the game at that point.

but c'mon, konami didnt force you to spend so much money.

Darth Glaxus and Slamsam88 like this.
  9. Slamsam88

Slamsam88 Level 27

Well I'm not putting the blame on Konami, because I feel like Disney was forcing them to shut down. Of course they tried everything they could and did their best. Of course they didn't force me to spend any money on this, but I hope you at least understand my anger when I leave to fix some heavy personal shit in my life and then come back to find out that the game you spend so much money on just shuts down. And again, I'm not blaming them at all ( I did in my first few posts, but I changed my opinion), but it's just a bit fucked you know? I hope you can understand me in this.

Darth Glaxus likes this.
  10. Slamsam88

Slamsam88 Level 27

It's just frustration you know? I'm sorry if I look selfish right now. I really didn't mean to be like that... I'm just a bit irritated I guess...

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  11. GiantPenguinCavalier

GiantPenguinCavalier Level 46

idk, i always viewed any money i spent on this game the same way in which i view spending money on alcohol, or on something like a concert or a sports game: I spent the money for the (hopefully) enjoyable experience, with nothing tangible to show for it at the end other than some (again, hopefully) great memories. i played this game with the full knowledge and intention of knowing i wouldnt see a single dime back in any form, and that once the game closed up shop, that was it. getting mad over how much money one spent on this game just seems a bit silly to me, mainly because what good will that do? it certainly wont help one get their money back. if anything, get mad at konami for stripping out any fun event they made, and throwing the game on autopilot by cycling through the same boring events over and over.

i think disney was a little pissed at konami for running SWFC without asking permission to continue using the IP once the sale was final. i remember a period of time after the sale where when you booted up SWFC, the splash screen and loading screens did not mention disney, and then suddenly one day i booted it up and there was disney's logo. again, i dont necessarily think it's right to say that disney forced konami to shut down the game, because with the game running, they can still make money; i think they simply wanted a bigger slice of the revenue pie. Greedy? for sure. but totally within their right as they owned the IP -- they were probably hoping to get some of that money back that konami was making under their noses.

unfortunately for them, konami was the kid who would take their toys home with them when they got mad or when things weren't going in their favor -- instead of meeting disney's demands they shut down the game. and honestly, i think it was a blessing -- SWFC got real stale, and it was clear konami wasnt interested in the slightest at trying to improve it or introduce any new content outside of ridiculously OP cards. who knows? maybe disney did force konami to shut down -- they probably saw the state of affairs the game was in and decided a mercy kill was better than trying to salvage it.

at any rate, I'm not saying Disney is blameless, just that konami is equally at fault.

osver and Slamsam88 like this.
  12. Slamsam88

Slamsam88 Level 27

You're probably right about all this. I should've known better. Sorry if I sounded like a complete moron....