Reboot vs remake vs sequel

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by paul.aka.paul, Dec 1, 2014.

1. paul.aka.paul

paul.aka.paul Level 15

I just need to vent about this as I see terms tossed around the interwebs and get annoyed. Maybe I am alone here but I feel these words have pretty firm and distinct definitions and they are misused frequently.

I have seen Episode VII referred to a reboot many times now. It is a sequel, not a reboot. Perhaps we can add that it is a revival to distinguish this sequel from others that are released closer to their predecessor. But it is most certainly not a reboot.

A sequel is a continuation in an existing universe that acknowledges and builds upon previous work. A reboot tosses out previous work to start over fresh. The Amazing Spiderman would be a reboot since it discarded all the Tobey Macguire movies entirely.

A remake is where the story is basically just retold in either a modern setting with some minor tweaks (The Fly, for example) or a modern methodology. A version of Hamlet filmed 60 years ago is telling the same story as one shot last week. But their looks will be of their respective times.

And then their is the subset of reboots where things get re-imagined. Battlestar Galactica fits that mold. It was the same basic story hitting many of the same major plot points from the original series. But there was more depth. The tone was much darker. And while they modernized the in-universe technology, the re-imagining inserted iconic pieces from the original into the new show's past. It was a really clever way of acknowledging the past without being saddled with all of it.

But Episode VII is not a re-imagining. It is not a remake. It is not a reboot. It is a sequel.

2. wulfio

wulfio Level 10

I've literally never seen anybody call ep 7 a reboot/remake. Are you polling 4 year olds?

3. paul.aka.paul

paul.aka.paul Level 15

4. wulfio

wulfio Level 10

i can arbitrarily google something stupid like the moon landing was faked and I will get results of people believing its true.

5. paul.aka.paul

paul.aka.paul Level 15

Move that goal post all you want, troll. I won't chase you further.

6. wulfio

wulfio Level 10

try living in the real world. sorry I proved you wrong.

7. michaeljohnny

michaeljohnny Level 7

All are same.

8. Alfcix

Alfcix Level 1

DO. NOT. IMPORT.

I never played the game, but there was no way it could compete with Mario Party when it came out....why even try now right? If its coming to modern systems it would need either a remake or a sequel.

9. Williambicky

Williambicky Level 2

hey what up bro i told you to give me the link of the unremastered version but you did anything so CAN YOU GIVE ME THE UNREMASTERED VERSIONS LINK OF THE GAME NAMED BORDERLANDS THE PRE SEQUEL PLEASE THANK YOU IF YOU DO THAT .