Progress of a Newbie...

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes' started by SumiXam, Mar 31, 2016.

1. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Unfortunately I don't even have Sid unlocked at this point, so that really isn't an option for me right now. I like Sid and can see the utility, but he is very much a later-down-the-road project for me right now. With me quickly approaching lvl 70 as it is, it may not be very beneficial to invest a lot into him right now anyway.

I also don't have Phasma unlocked, so that is another long term project for another day. I've played around with Vader a bit and perhaps should have put him into my somewhat developed toons list, but without a reliable source of shards I'm not sure that I want to invest a lot in him, though I do really like his skill set.

I guess I don't understand why JE is irrelevant. The thought is that he would likely end up replacing Lumi. I've considered eventually running Poggle (L), HK, 86, 88, JE. The heal and TM manipulations from JE seem like a great benefit for droid teams. At any rate, I'd be interested to get some more insight into why you think JE isn't suitable.

2. malpka

malpka Level 15

Oh sry if i didnt made myself clear :).
    What i meant is that info in above post is irrelevant, as JE will make your droids go before any mass debufer.

SumiXam likes this.
  3. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

The grind had been on. With the guild pushing for T6 raids again, I need to get some more 6* toons. Luckily I've added a couple already, so I can at least run a full squad. I hit level 70 last night and I've made a fair bit of progress while getting there.

Toons Progress and Wish List
    • Qui-Gon -- Probably the single biggest effort over the last few days. I bit the bullet and got him leveled and to Gear VIII. He has taken the place of IG-86 on the Arena team for the time being because I can finally deal with those pesky taunts.
    • GS -- Likely to be my first Gear IX toon. I can finally farm those blasted stun cuffs from one node
    • JE -- I waffled on developing Jawa Engineer, but decided to go for it. I should have him to Gear VII no later than tomorrow and I'll hopefully be able to give him a go in GW to see how he rolls. He looks like a lot of fun, so I'm excited.
    • Poggle -- Kind of got overshadowed by JE, but not forgotten. I need to get working on him and I'll have a pretty rocking droid team. I have the shards to get him to 5* and could likely get him very close to Gear VII right off the bat with little farming. It's really a matter of credits at this point since I haven't started on him yet.
    • RG -- With only a single hard node to farm (if you can call it that) shards, this is painstakingly slow, but I should be to 4* eventually.
    • Fives -- Finally unlocked him and he's on the short list to bring up. I hate going against him in Arena.
    • Dooku -- Keeps getting put on the back burner. I haven't unlocked him yet, but I'll get there eventually.
    • Yoda -- I know he isn't considered a great toon per the meta, but I still want him. Unfortunately, I am a little short on the Jedi development, so that may be a ways off. It gives me an excuse to work on Ahsoka though.
    • Jedi -- Because of Yoda, I've been working on some Jedi, but not a ton. I'm still trying to decide who is worth the effort to take all of the to 7*. My most developed Jedi at this point are Lumi (already have the shards for 7*), Ben (5*), Qui-Gon (5*), JC (5*), Mace (4*). I'm on the fence with Mace, but he's already mostly leveled and has been geared to VII. Everyone else I have unlocked hasn't been developed yet, but I think there is more utility from them over Mace. Jedi Knight Anakin 4* (unsure), Jedi Knight Guardian (definite no), Ahsoka 3* (likely candidate), Kit Fisto shard for 4* (unsure), Aayla shards for 4* (likely no because can't farm shards). I guess writing that out kind of answered my own question. It looks like Ahsoka or Jedi Knight Anakin might be my best long term bets even though mace is already up there.
    Arena
    • I've let Arena slide a bit lately because I felt like I needed to focus more on getting toons developed. I've maintained a rank in the Top 200 though. Yesterday I decided to push and ended at rank 66 for the prizes. I've been here before, but I think I have a better chance of holding now. I'm currently running Lumi (L), Daka, HK, GS, Qui-Gon. I only dropped 10 places overnight, so that's huge progress for me. Qui-Gon has made a huge different because I can go up against teams with RG now no problem (love the buff dispel).
    Guild
    • It looks like T6 will be rotated in again. At least this time I can run more than one toon...actually a whole squad, but I fear that my damage will be pretty weak. I've pulled in some Mk IX gear from the T5 raids, which has been great and I'm actually contributing around 150k in damage for those, which is a vast improvement over what I had been doing before.
    A questions to the more experienced players...how do I get Omega mats for abilities? I've gotten a couple of toons to the point where they need Omega mats and I'm curious where those come from. I know there was an event where they could be earned (which I had no chance to get them at the time since I was so new). Is there anywhere else to pick these up? I'm really hoping they drop from the final difficulty of the challenge mission for ability mats, since I should have that unlocked this week.

malpka likes this.
  4. binary flotsam

binary flotsam Level 36

Great progress, Sumi. Omegas currently only drop once you reach level 80.

SumiXam likes this.
  5. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Hey there stranger. Hope life is easing up for you a little. Alright, well, I won't worry myself about Omegas right now then. Still enjoying your super RG to get through the DS missions. He's a lifesaver. I need to beef up my LS team, as I think my DS is better now.

6. binary flotsam

binary flotsam Level 36

Thanks! With any luck, things will be sorted this week. They hand an Omega out when you finish your dailies, iirc. Future goals. Right on with RG, I'll leave him in there.
    You've got the start to a nice Jedi team for LS, you going to roll with that or are you thinking something different?
    Just to maybe save you some investment, Anakin took the nerfbat really hard and is largely considered le poo poo now. Ahsoka is solid in the survivor/DPS role, especially with QGJ (L).

SumiXam likes this.
  7. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

I am leaning towards a Jedi team for LS. I wasn't planning to do that initially, but it sure seems to be where I've got the best toons and synergy right now. Thanks for the heads up on Anakin...I'll definitely work on Ahsoka instead. With the additional heal from her I think my Jedi team will be pretty good. I love Qui-Gon and wish I wouldn't have waited so long to start working on him. He's up there in enjoyment/utility as GS for me right now.

binary flotsam likes this.
  8. Electricboa

Electricboa Level 26

Be careful relying on Jedi too much for LS battles. Maul and Dooku eventually show up as bosses down the road and they're devastating if you're not ready. Even then, it's hard. This is a long way for you, but LS 8-D Hard has a Dooku that literally took out my whole team of 7 stars on his own. His health was so high that he'd do a bunch of counterattacks, and that really hurt my mostly-Jedi team. I couldn't even beat it until I got my Yoda to 7 stars. Before that, I didn't stand a chance, much less 3 star it. Yoda let me get 3 stars.

SumiXam likes this.
  9. malpka

malpka Level 15

As for Jedi - I would definitely go with Ahsoka - she is only jedi with decent basic atack and on top of that she is one of the best toons to run in GW: she has good self heal on her basic, aoe heal on her special, also using her special on any yellow char is guaranteed kill (unles you miss) you loose heal that way though. Pretty much only drawback is she concur QGJ in cantina shipments so its going to delay your yoda most likely, especially because you farm fives as well. Although she has also 3 hard nodes.

10. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Thanks @malpka. I think Yoda is a long way off for me. Mace was close to 5*, so I promoted him to get a complete squad and got manhandled by Yoda. I ran Lumi (L), Old Ben, JC, Qui-Gon, Mace. I got Yoda down to about 30% health on one attempt, but every other attempt wasn't anywhere near that.

As far as toon development goes, I'm going to get Qui-Gon to 6* (should be within the next week) and then I'm going to start farming shards for Ahsoka. While I have Fives unlocked, I haven't done anything with him yet. He'll likely be next on the block for Cantina shipments after Ahsoka.

11. Electricboa

Electricboa Level 26

I'd advise against stopping Qui-Gon at 6 stars. It's generally best to finish one character before moving on to another.

12. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Any particular reason for this? I was under the impression that promotion was a relatively minimal improvement compared to gear. I do have a couple toons that I could promote to 7* right now (execpt for the credits), but I've been holding off on that because I've been focusing on leveling and gear.

13. EllBringa

EllBringa Level 44

Medals:
    For use in higher raids?

14. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Haha, yes, but I don't think we'll be running T7 anytime soon. My priority has been to get my staple toons to at least 6* and Gear VIII. I just promoted IG-88 to 6* today and will have the shards to promote to 7* when the Arena rewards hit this afternoon. Both Lumi and GS are 6* and have shards for 7* already. I suppose I've already been farming enough shards for 7* before starting something else until recently. Poggle and Qui-Gon kind of threw a wrench in my initial plan to get enough shards to 7* IG-86 and Daka (both at 6* right now).

My current mindset has been 6* as a priority and 7* as a luxury. There are a few reasons for this:
    1. I don't have any depth with raids and I want to get better rewards. I can almost field 2 full teams for T5 now. The last T6 raid we ran, I only had one toon that could participate. I now have a full squad +1. I feel like if I had dumped 1M credits into 7* promotions, I would be more of an appetizer for the Rancor than I already am.
    2. I need(ed) depth for GW because I desperately need the credits and ability mats. I don't need to replay 1 or 2 battles 20x to get the right RNG anymore because I have the depth to field another team to finish GW.
    3. I keep hitting the wall in the normal/hard LS/DS battles and having 1 or 2 lesser developed toons is making it more and more difficult to 3* the missions so I can farm gear.
    I see the advantages of focusing on a single toon all the way to the top and then starting over, but there are also advantages to spreading out and developing multiple at the same time. While that can get diluted if there isn't some focus and it does take longer, I feel like the effectiveness and impact is greater when they are all "game ready" around the same time.

I played another game extensively for several years that had multiple research paths for better tech and equipment. The norm, and usual recommendation, was to spam down one line and finish and then rinse and repeat. The problem with that is if the meta changes, there is no flexibility to easily shift more focus to a different line because all of the eggs have been put in one basket and you essentially need to start from scratch and work up again.

That ended up being a lot longer than I intended, so my apologies. My big question is whether or not I'm missing a big "aha" moment by holding off on the 7* promotions temporarily as I build depth on my roster. I certainly have no issues changing up what I'm doing, as I've already tweaked my plans several times since starting in on this game based on recommendation from the more experienced players. Hopefully my ramblings made a 1/2 bit of sense to anyone who cared to read all the way through. :p

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    binary flotsam likes this.
  15. Electricboa

Electricboa Level 26

High Gear generally does mean more, but promotion does matter, too. It boosts health and damage. Qui-Gon isn't exactly a glass cannon, but he is very squishy. Anything that improves his suitability is a plus.

Now, I do see what you mean. It can be hard if you keep trying to chase the current meta. There are some people that seem to stick around, though. Qui-Gon is one of them. Short of them nerfing him, he'll stay very useful for a long time.

SumiXam likes this.
  16. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

The last several days have awarded me my very first Gear IX toon. I honestly though it was going to be GS, but JE has slipped in as my must have toon to support the droids. I'm close to Gear IX on a few other toons, but several of them require raid gear so I'll need to continue improving my damage output so I can get better gear drops on the raids.

Toon Development
    • JE -- As mentioned above, my first Gear IX and I was not disappointed. This speedy little guy has been a lifesaver for my droids.
    • Poggle -- I'm one gear slot away from Gear VII and need to do some leveling, but this should be a solid addition to the DS team and help with the progress on those missions.
    • IG-86 -- I'm back on with the 86 shards from GW shipments. I should have enough shards to 7* soon
    • IG-88 -- I have the shards to 7*, but haven't done it yet
    • GS -- I have the shards to 7*, but haven't done it yet
    • Lumi -- I have the shards to 7*, but haven't done it yet
    • Daka -- I'm deciding between Daka and Qui-Gon for my next Gear IX. Both are great, but I think Qui-Gon might edge Daka out.
    • Qui-Gon -- see Daka
    • RG -- Made it to 4*...finally...farming shards from the 2x hard missions I have access to is painfully slow. I'm one gear slot away from Gear VIII though, so I may start using RG on my Arena team soon.
    • Old Ben -- He's been put on the back burner for now, but I am farming shards for him from Cantina battles so I can eventually promote him to 7*.
    • Poe -- Very much on the back burner. I haven't done anything with him for a couple of weeks.
    • ST Han -- I've started getting shards for him from the Arena shipments since I didn't really know what else to work on from there. I'm not likely to dump credits into him for a while though.
    Arena
    • I have been more on top of Arena lately and I've been finishing in the Top 100, usually around 65-75. My best finish has been 56th though and I'm hoping that I can get into the Top 50 and hold there soon. My current Arena team is HK (L), 86, 88, JE, Daka. Once I get RG to Gear VIII I might try swapping him in for Daka to see if I get better defensive results. Promoting 88 to 6* really helped with survivability and I'm strongly considering 88 as my next 7* promotion to hopefully boost that a bit more.
    Guild
    • We cranked through T6 this time, which was great. It's nice to see the entire guild improving and progressing. I know I went from doing less than 2k damage to just under 200k. I'm still tracking towards the bottom of the guild with overall damage in raids, but I'm starting to get some roster depth, so hopefully I can start getting in better position for gear drops soon. I really don't like that we need to compete with each other for the gear drops, but I'm glad that the harder raids give better chances to more people for the good stuff.

Overall it looks like Gear IX is going to be a big wall for the time being. I have some toons that can get there without raid gear, but everything else will take a while.