Progress of a Newbie...

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes' started by SumiXam, Mar 31, 2016.

1. radicalevil

radicalevil Level 3

I really hope not, I like my Poe, and haven't gotten much mileage out of him, yet. I worry about obsolescence, generally speaking. I'd much rather see new unique / complementary characters than new characters that send the old ones to collect dust. Oh well.

2. Electricboa

Electricboa Level 26

Poe will live on proudly as the tank of my C Team in GW. Or is it D team? Honestly, I have three back-up teams for GW and it gets confusing. My Droid team is usually only good for one real battle. The Nightsister team is getting surprisingly good now that I can spend Ability Mats on Ventress. Her dispel is pretty nice. My FO team is also pretty decent.

I don't know, they really haven't added too many brand new characters before the Guild update. Magmatrooper and Grievous were the only ones that could be farmed. Grievous is garbage and Magmatrooper has mixed reviews. Other ones like the Shaman, Rex, and Chirpa were Chromium-only and not that amazing. Was there anything else? At least until the TFA characters ere added. Most of the time, they end up 'fixing' an old character and making it a must have or semi-worthless. Just look at the most best characters right now, all have been in-game from the beginning.

3. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Now you guys have me second guessing my choice to develop Poe. :p

Either way, I think he'll serve me well for a while so I'm not going to write him off. I was all excited to get my first shipment of Jawa Engineer shards and he got removed on the refresh in the shop. I won't be tempted with anything else from the guild shop at this point though.

TheBeard likes this.
  4. roadburn12

roadburn12 Level 34

Same here, My first set of engineer shards felt good

TheBeard likes this.
  5. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Quick questions for you about Poe. I have him leveled and G7, but he still seems pretty soft. I have a hunch it's because he's only 3*. That puts a bit of a wrinkle in my plans, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

6. TheBeard

TheBeard Level 24

4* and gear VIII would probably be better. Gear VIII is where he gets his speed boost I believe.

roadburn12 and SumiXam like this.
  7. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

I'll be hitting level 60 the next time I login, so G8 is a fast approaching possibility. Time to start poking around my toons and pre-crafting the gear that will be available the soonest. I think I have a couple that I can equip at lvl 63 and a couple more at 64, but Poe might be a bit sooner if I remember correctly. I'll need to go and check. I do remember that I'm about halfway through the 20x purple mat requirement for that gear piece, so I should be ready to go.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    TheBeard likes this.
  8. roadburn12

roadburn12 Level 34

Poe is a little squishy, once he reaches 5* he will hol his own better and at 7* he is a lot less squishy then your droids will be

SumiXam likes this.
  9. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

It appears that getting my toons to gear 8 will be the next catapult in the arena. I've been looking at what I need, aside from leveling up a bit more, and it looks like I need to progress on some more missions to farm some of the gear mats.

I've hit DS-6 and LS-6 on normal and have been doing alright. @TheBeard's Rey is a lifesaver on the LS missions. My LS squad is definitely the weakest of my side-specific teams, but I don't really want to put resources into Lobot, Lando, Mace, or Chewie right now. Of my weak-link toons, Lobot is the highest power, so I'm running Lumi (L), Poe, JC, Old Ben, Lobot. It's kind of a dog-from-every-park team, but has kept me running. Qui-Gon is only 2* (close to 3*), so getting him up to snuff could take a while and I'm trying to get Daka to 5*, so I have my cantina shipments tied up with that.
    • Lumi -- I have the shards to 6* her, but I've been holding off in order to level my team when I level up.
    • Daka -- I'm looking to promote to 5* in a few days and then I might start working on Qui-Gon for a bit ... 25 shards away so maybe more like 4-5 days since I'm averaging one cantina shipment per day.
    • IG-86 -- I'm likely going to focus the next day or so of GW shipments to get IG-86 to 5* ... 21 shards away.
    • IG-88 -- I'm 10 shards away from 5* here, so I'm hoping to have that buttoned up shortly.
    • Arena -- I switched up my team for the last battle yesterday and stayed in the 300s overnight for the first time. The team I ran was Lumi (L), HK, Daka, 86, 88. As I mentioned at the beginning, I think gear 8 will be the key to punching up into the 200s and then I really need to focus on promoting my toons. The meta on my server is different than what many have mentioned. I do see some of the standard teams in the top 20, but a lot of different teams too. Yesterday's #1 was a Nightsister team with RG. At any rate, I'm kind of glad that strange things are afoot at my Circle K.
    • GW -- I am struggling a lot less with the final 3 battles now that I have more toons to gear 7. The depth really helps to put together the right team or burn off some health of a beast team with a suicide squad and send in the A-team to clean up.
    • Guild -- I am uber-weak on the raids. I did less than 800 damage before having my only 5* toons crushed by the Gamorreans. Doing my best to pull my weight in the other aspects of the guild activity though.
    Activity for me is going to be all about promoting and gear for the next little bit in preparation for diving into gear 8 with a running start.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    binary flotsam and TheBeard like this.
  10. binary flotsam

binary flotsam Level 36

I wish I had planned my toons out like you are, Sumi. Your team is going to be styling soon. I'll throw a DPS toon for my LS leader, it's no gear 9 Rey though. Hot damn is she a beast.

SumiXam likes this.
  11. TheBeard

TheBeard Level 24

Agree with binary, my strategy has basically been "put Rey in and hope I picked the rights toons". Reddit and AI have helped a lot, but I still follow the basic strategy of using Rey as a beatstick and hope it works out :rolleyes:

SumiXam and binary flotsam like this.
  12. SamuraiUX

SamuraiUX Level 1

At some point, it turns into a game of chess: if you level up your players to the same level as others and use the same characters the stats say "are the best", then there's no deviating from the path that others have taken. Which is why I choose my characters based upon who I like and I think look cool together and say, "to hell with it." It's more fun for me to play with Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia, and Old Ben and think, "It's the New Hope team!" than it is to carefully calibrate my team to be just like everyone else who's high on the leaderboards.

But this is literally for gameplay enjoyment, not strategic advancement. Just my opinion! Do your thing! =)

SamUX

13. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

I understand your sentiment and I've certainly gone down a path that I personally enjoy. HK-47 is one of my favorite characters from KOTOR and was one of my first draws since I started playing right around the droid event. I like that there is a lot of room to explore in this game, though with a goal of residing at least in the Top 50 on my Arena server, I do need to plan a little if I want to be efficient.
    • Promotions -- Lumi to 6*; 88, 86, Daka to 5*. Lumi is fast approaching 7* and I'm plugging away at getting GS to 6*, but RNG can be a bear on those cantina missions. It looks like things might slow down a bit in the promotion department with shard requirements increasing with each promotion, but things are moving along nicely.
    • Gear VIII has arrived -- GS, JC, and Poe are all G8 now and I have pre-crafted mats to G8 HK, Lumi, Daka, 86, and 88 once I hit the level minimums. I've looked at some of the G9 requirements and, yikes!!!, looks like some serious forethought needs to go into which toons to get there first.
    • Arena -- I am likely going to focus on Poe with my cantina shipments for a while. I'd like to get him to 5* so I can start using him in the arena. I'm still fluctuating a fair bit, but I'm hitting into the 220s now and each level up seems to edged me up a bit more. I am currently alternating between HK (L), 86, 88, Lumi, GS and Lumi (L), HK, 86, GS, Daka. I've been a bit more focused on the offensively oriented team lately because I'm hoping to make a push into the Top 200 this week.
    • GW -- Double rewards right now is fantastic and I'm milking it for all I can get until they switch it up later today.
    • Guild Raids -- The 2nd raid I felt much less like a 5th wheel and ended up putting in over 55k damage before the Rancor ate all of my toons. The T6 raid is back to me being an unwitting bug on the Rancor's windshield. The first attempt, I did 1 whole damage to the gaurd. My second attempt was slightly better at under 2k damage. Rough stuff with only 2 toons that can enter, but the word is that the rewards are much better, so I'll continue to contribute my paper cut to the cause.
    I'm starting see the power of the droid team as I continue to level up the abilities and gear up. GS is currently my favorite attacker though, but 86 is a very close 2nd.

binary flotsam likes this.
  14. Electricboa

Electricboa Level 26

This might help with promotions:

1 Star - 10
    2 Star - 15
    3 Star - 25
    4 Star - 30
    5 Star - 65
    6 Star - 85
    7 Star - 100

That might come in useful if, like me, there are some people you're farming but aren't ready to promote as soon as you can. Like I've got a 2 star Magmatrooper that I could take straight to 6 star and be 30/100 to 7 star, but I'm not ready to spend all the Credits I'd need to do that.

SumiXam likes this.
  15. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Hit the ground running this morning and leveled up to 63, and training those toons is starting to get expensive. :p Level 63 means that IG-86 is now Gear VIII.
    • Toon Development -- As mentioned above, 86 is now G8. :D I have the shards to promote Lumi to 7*, so my GW shipments are now focused on 86. I'm going to hold off on Lumi's promotion for a bit though since I need to level up my team still. RG made it to G7...finally, but needs to be leveled. GS is close to to having enough shards for 6* and will soon have all but one G8 slot filled. I am strongly considering temporarily tabling Daka shard farming with my cantina shipments and getting Poe beefed up. I'm to the point where that taunt and turn meter help will really start making a difference, but I need him to last a bit longer than he does now.
    • GW -- I timed things well for the GW Guild activity this week, but I'm stuck on the 3rd to the last battle in my current conquest. :grumpy: I don't mind a challenge, but putting me up against level 70 teams is a little unfair. I'm going to try a few more things and then I'll just kamikaze and reset once I run out of toons, which would be the first time I've had to do that in a while.
    • Arena -- I'm wobbling between the 300s & 200s right now, but I've pushed as high as 209. I'm hoping to make my move into the next prize tier soon. Top 200 here I come...
    See you all around the galaxy.

binary flotsam likes this.
  16. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Well, things are starting to get interesting.
    • Arena -- I finished at rank 146 at the end of the Arena cycle yesterday. :D I am currently sitting at 220 after the overnight shuffle, so it looks like Top 200 finishes are here. Onward and upward...
    • Toon Development -- I hit level 65 this morning, which is a big benchmark level to get several of my toons to Gear VIII. I got HK, 86, and Lumi sorted and when I went back to take care of Daka and 88, I realized that I hadn't pre-crafted enough of a couple of gear pieces. :nailbiting: Not to worry though, it's a delay of a couple of days for them, so not a huge deal considering the slog I have ahead for Gear IX. With 86 at 6*, I'm going to work on getting Poggle unlocked with the GW shipments.
    • Guild -- I got IG-86 to 6* this morning, so I now have four toons that can run in T6 raids...Lumi, HK, GS, and 86. All of them are Gear VIII too, so that should help quite a bit in the T5 raids too. IG-88 will be 6* before we run another T6 raid, so I'll have a full team for the Gamorreans and Rancor to pound on. I do hope I can start eking out a bit more damage though.
    Once I get my little Gear VIII faux pas sorted out, I need to start progressing through the normal missions again to gain access to the gear I need. It's all about the gear right now.

binary flotsam and TheBeard like this.
  17. binary flotsam

binary flotsam Level 36

I expect a celebratory gif for your first 1st place Arena finish. Freaking love watching these updates. We're just about done with the unholy terror of T6 Rancor, finger's crossed for some needed loot to come your way.

SumiXam likes this.
  18. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

Weekend Update
    • Arena -- I made a big jump to 56th at one point over the weekend, but fell to around 150th. At least I know I can finish in the Top 100. Now to figure out how to not drop so far.
    • Toon Dev -- I got Daka and IG-88 to Gear VIII and will have Poggle unlocked today. IG-88 can also be promoted to 6*, but I haven't done that yet. Daka is my first toon that is to the point where omega ability mats are needed. Hopefully I can get some of those when that event comes back around. Gear and ability mats are still the primary focus.
    • Guild -- Finally getting more damage in so hopefully better rewards are in store soon.
    The march continues...

roadburn12 likes this.
  19. SumiXam

SumiXam Level 51

After reading @Mezmo's treatise on Arena offense, I'm waffling on toon priorities again. I'm to the point now that bringing up a toon from the ground level will seriously slow down my ability to level my existing team. I have a couple of other irons in the fire too, so I guess I need to decide how I'm going to tackle this.

Most developed toons (tend to be at or near my current player level):
    • HK-47 -- 7* Gear VIII with 3 slots filled. Abilities top to bottom 5, 5, 6, 4
    • GS -- 6* Gear VIII all but one slot filled. Abilities top to bottom 6, 6, 5
    • Lumi -- 6* Gear VIII with 2 slots filled. Abilities top to bottom 5, 5, 6, 6
    • IG-86 -- 6* Gear VIII with 3 slots filled. Abilities top to bottom 5, 6, 5
    • Daka -- 5* Gear VIII with 5 slots filled. Abilities top to bottom 7, 6, 3, 5
    • IG-88 -- 5* Gear VIII with 1 slot filled, Abilities top to bottom 4, 4, 1, 5
    • Old Ben -- 5* Gear VIII with 1 slot filled. Abilities top to bottom 4, 4, 2, 3
    • JC -- 5* Gear VIII all but one slot filled. Abilities top to bottom 3, 3, 3
    Somewhat developed toons (leveled a bit and some gear and ability investment):
    • Poe -- 3* Gear VIII with 2 slots filled. Abilities top to bottom 3, 4, 1, 4 ... I pushed to get him to G8, but I've been waffling on pushing further with him. I need a taunter though and I can't really farm RG shards easily right now, so he may be my best option.
    • RG -- 3* Gear VII with 4 slots filled. Abilities top to bottom 3, 3, 3 ... Mr. Mega Tank would be great to run, but is he viable at such low star?
    • Lando -- 4* Gear VI with 4 slots filled. Abilities top to bottom 3, 3, 1, 3
    • Lobot -- 3* Gear VI with 4 slots filled. Abilities top to bottom 2, 3, 1, 1
    • Qui-Gon -- 3* Gear VI with 4 (could do 5) slots filled. Abilities top to bottom 3, 3, 3, 3 ... I need to work on him since he seems to be the Jack-of-all-trades card, but I'm not sure if he should be priority over what I've already got going.
    Undeveloped but interested in working on:
    • Poggle -- 4* with nothing done yet. I just unlocked him and I'm trying to decide if he needs to be prioritized. I'm leaning towards yes, but I'm starting to have nightmares about credits, or lack thereof.
    • Jawa Engineer -- Should be unlocked today and I'm intrigued by the potential with my droids. I'd need to figure out who he'll replace though. It could mean a fairly big shakeup to my Arena team, but that could be a good thing.
    • ST Han -- Another tank option, but I'm not sure developing him right now would be a good idea given what I already have cooking.
    Main arena team is still Lumi (L), Daka, HK, 86, GS. That is allowing me to punch above my weight, but I have virtually no staying power. I'm considering getting Poe on the team and trying it out to see if that helps with survivability at all. If I do that, I'll likely sub him in for Daka and see how that goes.

20. malpka

malpka Level 15

In arena you wold be better off with Sid than Lumi (till about lvl 70) his aoe applies debuff which if lands on 5 toons, double the damage of ig-88 (before lvl 70 it lands reliably enough), saldy he is the only one with aoe debuff who will reliably go before ig - 88 - others are Phasma and vader but they have the same speed as ig. Anyway if you getting JE it is irrelevant, as your droids will go first anyway.