Killer Builds for PVP

Discussion in 'Plundernauts' started by roflwaffle, Oct 12, 2014.

1. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Level 6

I was wondering what others have had luck with in PVP.

Ship/main weapon choice is up for grabs, (beams seem best) but techmods are where things get interesting.

you could run 4x ROF mods for consistent high dmg
    I've seen people running multiple shields to pretty good effect.

targetting range doesnt seem to do much for beams advantage, even kiting, but maybe I havn't explored it enough.

repair modules seem dumb. hardwired mods or pick and choose as you kite?

2. Imjlshaw

Imjlshaw Level 6

Sorry I don't have time for a full reply, but I found repair mods and multiple shields very hard to deal with. When a crew upgrade is set right, it is amazingly frustrating.

E.g. A good ship with multiple weapons, multiple shield and repair mods set in defense mode makes it very hard to beat. In defense mode they sit and wait. Then blasts you with all turrets and runs when they take damage. With multiple repairs, I've seem a ship close to death come right back to full health! And with multiple shields, you have to do enough damage to the shield before getting to do real HP damage. With some ships I have to blast them with all turrets 2x before the shields are down. Then I only get maybe one shot in before the second shield is used. I.e. You have to take damage while shooting them with all turrets 4x before really doing damage. In reverse, if you had a ship with 4 techmods slots, you can have 3 shield, 1 repair mod, and a repair crew. That's had to beat.

3. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Level 6

When playing (not letting ship auto play), i hit hard, then run while crew/mods recharge. Usually only takes 2 times (1 minute) max. A shield would help me methinks, but i wonder if we shouldnt be making defensive ships (with gold stored) and an offensive one for attacking with...

4. Phuturist

Phuturist Guest

Agree with the above comment regarding multiple shields and repair mods. The most difficult battles I've fought involve the faster ships with powerful turrets that are able to retreat, repair, and shield up.

It's really frustrating, after chipping away at an opponent, to find that they've managed to kite off and regenerate back to max.

The only way to beat this setup is to adopt the same strategy but equip more powerful weapons. Oh yeah, and don't screw up!

5. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Level 6

I currently dont run any shields or repair mods, and im in top 25.. But when my ships are played by ai, they get beat more often than not. I do think ill try 4 shields, or 4 beam armor for my other ships, see how that goes in the trial grounds..

I had a missile ship buildout that still finds 0 matches, even after trying 20 times, so maybe ill respec that one.

Fighters, torpedos, look good on paper, but the ai/targetting is so poor, theyre useless.

That techmod from the event ended up being pretty great though, i could use another of those :)

6. Imjlshaw

Imjlshaw Level 6

Are you playing the new PvP version? They have neutered all the weapons, so at lvl 25, turrets deal only about 3,000 max. With 6 turrets, that's still only in the 18,000-19,000 range. The crew repair does 25% recovery but that depends on your ship HP. A lvl 25 shield is about 22-24(?)k HP, so one blast won't be enough. A repair mod does about 10-17k. With hulls in the 60-90k range, you can survive several hits before having to find a way to recover.

Not sure where you get only thousands for repair. Could that be a low lvl repair mod?

7. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Level 6

Ya, must be i havt checked repair mods recently. Ya, new version and each turret does far greater than 3k with techmods.. More like 14k

8. herrr

herrr Guest

I googled for some images of the game, and came across an 85k dps lvl 23 torpedo and a 61k lvl 23 tactical shield whose duration is about half an hour. monsters, really. If I came across someone who has a build like that I'd rather self-destroy than get blasted into smitherens by dem things.

9. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Level 6

Those were likely pre pvp, as shields were nerfed

10. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Level 6

Whelp, i'm top 10 again, with the empty scanner thing, best to do imo is to build a weak ship with no legendaries, and only attack most difficult opponents. Ai is super weak, so even a great ship played by a potato will lose to a player. speed is important.

Still looking for which weapons besides beams/lasers are worth keeping, they all seem pretty junk. Torps are nice if you get the right one, but im not sure which fly fast and straight. Weapon speed would be nice to see

11. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Level 6

The items from the last event are pretty swell as well, so forge em and use em!