Hello from JuiceBox!

Discussion in 'Honorbound' started by Jason McGuirk, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason McGuirk

Jason McGuirk Level 2

Hey Guys,

Wanted to let you guys know we're here lurking and want your feedback! We think we've finally got the servers stable this morning - but let us know if you guys are still seeing frequent disconnects or lost progress.

A few open ended questions for you guys:

- Whats the most annoying bug you guys need to see taken care of?
    - What are different types of combat you guys would like to see?
    - Whats one feature we'd be stupid to not build in the next 6 months?
    - Whats one feature we could build that would ruin the game for you?
    - What are someways you want to engage with your friends? We're just starting to build out guilds now and wanted to hear what you guys think would make it kick ass.

Cheers!

Jason McGuirk
    Chief Technology Officer
    JuiceBox Mobile

P.S. As always - you can reach out to us at support@juiceboxmobile.com with thoughts, questions, bug reports or feedback.

Joe Money and NeoCHI like this.
  2. bigbadwolf

bigbadwolf Guest

Hey this is what I would like too see in next patches.

Events - raid, tower and pvp. Also event exclusive characters. Either capturable or ranks rewards. More preferable rank rewards so some type of trading can be introduces.

Leaderboard wipe every week. Give chances to other to get diamonds.

Would be nice if commanders actually mattered. Right now thier isnt much difference in commanders. Would like to see a whole new skills set for each commander. Also would be nice if capture wasnt a skill but kind like a passive like skip turn. This way every commander would have 3 unique skills.

Bleeding dmg is too high. My commander dies in 2 turns.

Thier isnt much difference betweeeln epic chars and legendary chars. Maybe something unique to differentiate? A 4th skill? Higher stats?

3. bigbadwolf

bigbadwolf Guest

I don't know if you know the concept of blood brothers but it would be cool to have a evolution system which resembles. This way we can make perfect evolution characters. It would change the whole concept of evolutions. I don't know how you would do it but maybe a greater stat boost to seed depending on sacrifice lvl? Also I dont like the fact that your familair drops back to lvl 1 after evolution. It should keep the same level.

4. Zarcos

Zarcos Level 5

Along with the above said leaderboard wipe, but also consider having multiple divisions within the pvp arena. Obviously the highest level player will always win every week if their is only one leaderboard and one arena division. If you have multiple divisions, it could look something like this:
    • 100-500 players per arena division each new tournament.
    • Do one arena match in order to place in a division, or you could simply have it place you in a division upon entering the arena menus.
    • You are placed in a division based on your hero's level or previous honor points. I personally like the idea of it being on levels, since it will be more fair competition.
    • You could group each arena division by 9 levels, if you choose to do it by levels instead of honor points, starting at level 10. So groups would look like: 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, and so on.
    • If a player ranks up from for example, level 19 to 20 during a tournament, they do not move to the other division until the tournament has ended.
    • Have a slightly better reward for each higher level division, encouraging players to move up in arena divisions.
    • Also, since it is a weekly tournament, obviously you will need to wipe the leaderboard stats each week. Keeping only the active players on top.
    • Players will face against any opponent that is near their level regardless of what arena division they come from.
    • EDIT: In order to keep player's achievements and such during their arena, you could keep a leaderboard that showed the most amount of honor points earned during a 1 week period, though this leaderboard would just be for "fame" not really any sort of prize.
    You could add more limiting criteria as to who got in what division, but I think this would make the arena a lot more fun and competitive for every player regardless of what level they are.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    gamer guy likes this.
  5. Lemonstar

Lemonstar Level 5

I totally agree with Zarcos regarding to the PVP arena issue.
    Honestly, the more advanced player will win every battles considering they are very high level, they have the best units, they spent a lot of real cash to advance, they have unlimited time playing the game..etc.
    So if you set the tournament to every 10 levels (or whatever) each section, the low level player will then be battling with only the group level players which makes more sense.
    For now, whoever started off with the PVP battle, they have a hugh amount of chances to win considering the units are roughly the same levels, so is there anything that will decide who starts the battle?

Ok back to the most annoying bug:
    The game started to lag A LOT (I think could be the server problem) and carry on for about a coupon of minutes before all of a sudden it pops back to the Home screen of my iPad retina.
    The game got stucked at the loading page/ battling prepare(loading) page (the page with the five runes label)
    Let's say I approached to the 24th checkpoint of a battle map, the game disconnected, popped back to the Home screen, after I reloaded the game, my units were started at 12th checkpoint, i.e. I lost the time reaching from 12th to 24th checkpoint, I had to replay all over again.

6. Reyzor

Reyzor Level 5

i agree with Zarcos regarding the arena, there are still some issues with the GI i want to point out
    ---------------------------------------------GI------------------------------------
    3) Evolution is Confusing - More details on how it works (tutorial) would be helpful, many players like me are confused whether we get to retain our levels,items,whether there'd be boost stats...etc and we have to look it up ourselves.

4) Pressing the (+) button on the hero (squad screen) -- Hard to press! fraustrating to me

5) Issue of Not knowing Money/Squad Limit --
    Would be really helpful for forgetful players like myself.

Gold:(i.e for me i banished around 7k worth of gold,first testing out --- forgetting about the gold limit (please warning screen???)

Units: problem occurs when trying to capture something and not be able to when squad is full and losing the unit/ ditto for gold. Would be really helpful to highlight when squad team is reaching full/money to spare us players the pain...imagine you capture a legendary but it doesn't show up because your squad is full?? sucks to the max!

and therefore, i have to check back to the squad everytime when deciding whether to activate more runes..(bad for a forgetful person like me) so i don't waste them!

------------------

Energy still takes too too long to recharge. it's a serious issue i feel, one that i fell holds me back from investing and returning to the game.(i know i can do research but then it doesn't seem to help a lot) ---> if you're talking about a game ruining feature,this is it!

And yes,definitely a lot can be done to improve on the arena...Right now,most players don't get rewarded for anything other than the streaks..

I'd like to see arena exclusive heroes/event heroes etc!!!

Kudos to hearing the feedback of the community and responding to them! i really like the game so far,i hope i can do my part for it by offering these feedback =)

7. Orangez

Orangez Guest

First off all: compliments on making a game that looks good, plays great and keeps me playing more then half an hour!

Now to answer your questions:

Not a bug, but the in-game purchases are way to expensive atm. You go through the currency like crazy and it would be nice to buy a decent amount for 5 dollar.

I think you have thought it out nicely with the occasional PvP fight and the Arena feature.

I would like to see more seasonal content if possible. It shows the game is constantly evolving and you are part of something 'hip & happening'.

Oh, and: Guild wars. Guild leaderboard. Guild chat. Prizes.

If you start pushing the in-game purchase system too much. And if you are going to work with invitation codes. Man... I hate that...

- What are someways you want to engage with your friends? We're just starting to build out guilds now and wanted to hear what you guys think would make it kick ass.

That would be a guild board and guild chat.

Keep up the great work guys! Liking this so far!!!

8. Jason McGuirk

Jason McGuirk Level 2

Hey Guys,

Awesome feedback so far - I've shared it with the team.

A few responses on our next major release due out in a little over a week on Android and in about 2 weeks on iOS (due to the approval process). We'll be putting out some more formal patch notes as we get a little closer, but just wanted you guys to know I think we're heading in the right direction.
    • We've taken a pass at improving performance on all previous generation (IPhone4/IPhone4s/Ipad Mini) iOS devices. This should improve the overall stability of gameplay and should fix the "lag storm" that occurs after 10+ mins of play. These fixes should also improve overall stability on previous generation Android devices
    • Facebook integration should be fixed :)
    • We're re-doing the weekly tournament to be weekly reset to level the playing field a bit. The two tournaments will run in parallel for a few weeks while we get the latest version available on all devices. Tournaments by tier is an interesting twist that we may explore down the road.
    • A bonus system that rewards players for playing the game over multiple days
    • We've fixed a bug where consuming an energy pack would occasionally desync players. This only happens when you are at 0 energy packs - a bug causes an additional 5 energy packs to appear.
    • Numerous other small bug fixes.
    We think most of the rollbacks have been fixed by buffing up our Leaderboard databases. We think there may be a few small rollbacks out there caused by logic bugs (like consuming energy packs when you have none) but the large scale rollbacks should be fixed. We may explore some other options here to ensure you are "in sync" by the time a battle starts.

We've heard a fair amount of feedback on Energy so far, and have been doing our own soul searching on the system. We're not ready to commit to any specific changes here yet - but look for something down the line.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

This is just a question. Does putting points into characters attributes or abilities earlier in levelling up mess up final stats for later levels?

Eg: if I level up my ability stat, but I haven't unlocked the 2nd or 3rd abilities of the character, does that mean my 2nd and 3rd abilities when I finally unlock them suffer from not being able to level up as much.

Same for increasing stats. Does increasing my stats early on have a disadvantage?

10. AQ55

AQ55 Level 1

Firstly I just want to congratulate you guys for creating a great game. Keep up the good work!

When the game occasionally crashes to the home screen (playing on ipad mini retina). Also some adjusting of the recharge meters. I find 1 hour for a PVP game is quite a long wait.

The current Battle and Arena mode are good, perhaps just some refinement on PVP, as like the above poster mentioned, it is quite easy to pick lower levelled players continually

More heroes (I don't seem to ever see many Archers), and maps for single player. Maybe an easier way to also obtain diamonds. Paying 1000 for a 4th scholar is quite a lot

Maybe some locked content such as "bonus maps" that can only be accessed through IAP

A way to send invites in game to friends by typing in their name, and being able to vs them. Also a trading system between friends would also be nice

11. Arcanist

Arcanist Level 2

Dear Jason,

I would like to know exactly how ritual for evolution works, it's been bugging me since forums and wiki did not provide sufficient information

Does the lvl of hero affect the outcome? Example lvl30 mix with a lvl1= Lvl1 mix with lvl1? Is the outcome of the stats fixed no matter what lvl the hero? After evolution no matter their lvl they would revert back to lvl 1? Does having higher lvl Hero affect the stats after evolution?

I do not want to risk wasting a lvl 30 1*epic which I had trained hard into the unknown...

Please confirm how it works

Thanks

12. Kriacah

Kriacah Level 4

Hi, it's great to see you reaching out to the community.
    Have to say, the Canadian to English translations are amazing! J/K It's just nice to see this genre being done by a western company so we can actually converse with the developers.

So far I think you are headed on the right track.

I do agree that events should be brought in when you can. However, I would suggest looking at games other than Blood Brothers for ideas. Blood Brothers type events would be ok on occasion, but frankly I found them to be incredibly stressful, and punished people who could not be at there tablet every waking moment. (Damn I had to go to the store, and I went down 10000 places.) Please find other ways to get people to keep logging in. I ended up leaving the game because it took too much time/energy to maintain.

Puzzles and Dragons(PAD) is a good example IMO. They have constant events, bring in new dungeons, and have a large stable of old event dungeons they can bring back in. You don't have to grind points(And hemorrhage money into the game) to stay on top to get a good prize. And if you miss out this time, chances are they will be back.
    And while their constant crystal giveaways may not fit into your monetization plans it is nice to get little treats near the holidays. More incentive to log in, which every time I log in there is a chance I will spend more. I do believe it also buys them a metric ton of good will, which can be incredibly valuable if things go wonky. (Yes, that's right I am suggesting preemptively bribing your player base)

The things I think you are doing the best with right now are.
    The ability to find good squad members by playing the normal dungeons. In Blood Brothers it always felt like a waste of time to do the normal dungeons. Even the copper pacts could give monsters that were much better than anything you might capture in the normal game. Why bother..
    The research system. I surprisingly like it. I do kindof wish we had a slap mechanic like dungeon keeper. Some way to feel like you are making things go faster. Particularly when you get to the 3d timers.
    The crystal rewards from achievements. It's nice to get things for accomplishing things in game. The difference between the first and second achievements does seem a bit high, but I'm sure in time I'll get there.

As for invite codes. I do agree with Orengez. Please don't do them, and if you do, please keep the rewards light, and don't make them event like. I don't have a large base of people to invite to game. And I would prefer to be able to get them to play any time, rather than feeling like I need to wait for the next recruitment event so I can get them to use my code and get me a new unit. It also feels a bit sleazy.
    "Hey, come play this game. Oh, and use my code while your at it so I get some super reward." To me this says "Do this so I get something" rather than "I want you to play with me"

Love the art style.

One bug. When you are choosing an ability in combat the audio cuts out. It's really quite jarring. The sound effect for summoning is also a bit off. (Sounds like it was recorded, then played through a damaged speaker to be recorded again)

**Edit** Wanted to add a couple things.
    We need a way to *NOT* kill something, Right now going back to try to capture epic units can be a bit frustrating. You finally run into one, do slightly too much damage, or worse slightly too little and have no way of not killing them on the second blow.
    Currently I've taken to outlleveling the area so my commander can solo it, then taking two level locked 10s in and hoping they can chip away the health without dying and/or killing it. It's kindof a solution, but lacks elegance.
    Possible a ring, or commander only equip-able item you can buy from the shop that will turn your commanders killing blow into a "mortal wound". While wearing it any time your commander would kill something with greater than 1HP it will drop them to 1 HP instead allowing for a capture attempt. Attacking a second time while the creature is at 1HP will kill it.
    That way it's a bit of a double edged sword. Makes it less frustrating to capture units, but also requires an extra attack to kill. It would also act as an additional money sink.
    Also please consider adding rings to increase capture rate.

The other issue is the library size(Unit storage). 25 feels very small particularly with the only apparent way to increase it being cash shop. Considering the relative scarcity of gems to anyone not topping the PVP boards, the cost to buy gems, the myriad of uses for gems, and the need for so many units to create a "Perfected" unit.
    It was just as expensive in PAD, but with so many different ways to get gems, it didn't feel so restrictive.
    Please add in a way to research storage increases, or some other method to raise the limit.

I think the point I'm trying to get out is that: The ideal monetization system to me is one which makes me "want" to spend money, not one which makes me feel like I "have" to spend money. I can state for a fact that I spend far more money in games which can find that balance than I do in games that don't. (I know a lot of others do as well.) I'll also stick around much longer too.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  13. Mhadron

Mhadron Level 4

This was taken from another thread to answer your question.

14. HardToName

HardToName Level 3

Jason,

There are some concerns I have about the game, but by mentioning them, I hope that you will consider my suggestions.

First is the "Pay to play or wait" system. There NEEDS to be something players can do to progress while waiting for more energy. E.g. in clash of clans, you can always attack other bases or participate in the single player mode. Also, energy NEEDS to be boosted. Nobody will want to play a game that you have to wait so long for. Read any forum - hundreds of players have probably quit because of this system. Please reconsider it.

Second, the game is extremely slow. Not considering loading times, walking and combat are both begging to be sped up. In combination with my first point, it makes the game far too slow to be enjoyed.

Third, the game lacks a strong following (see my first two points) and therefore doesn't have many guides for new players. I can't even find hero info for most mobs.

Fourth, too many features are limited to paying players. I spent money on Clash of Clans but I will never spend money on this game the way it is. You know why? Clash of Clans is absolutely fair without paying, but I enjoyed it so much I wanted to get a small advantage (more builders). This game, on the other hand, forces me to pay if I want to get some consistency in my gameplay. I will never be able to enjoy the game enough to justify spending money on it (currently).

The way the game is right now, it will develop a poor reputation of being "Pay to Win." I realize the game was designed to be fair, but there are simply too many important features that require players to spend money. With this reputation, it will never garner a strong following, preventing any mass social updates or community support, and cut into profits hard. I PROMISE you that you will make more money if you cut down on which features require diamonds to open the game to free players.

Here's what I could see you doing (and this is where my post goes from "facts" to opinion): Increase base library size to 35, make the hero library up-gradable with gold up to 50, increase base energy to 25, include energy pack drops on maps (or make single-use energy packs researchable), and make diamonds a LOT cheaper. Why make diamonds cheaper? Right now, diamonds are priced (in my opinion) anywhere from fair to a little too high. I will never spend money on a game unless I think it's a STEAL. The price elasticity of game currency is extremely high, meaning that any decrease in price will significantly increase demand. If I feel like I'm getting "so much" by spending "so little," I'll be inclined to spend money on a game. Otherwise, I will always be a free player, and many people agree with me. These are just some ideas. There is a LOT that can be done to attract and keep free players, which will eventually turn into paid players. That's what made Clash of Clans so successful and also why HeroBound will never reach that level of success without major changes.

Please consider what I have to say. I want to see this game succeed!

15. Kriacah

Kriacah Level 4

To be fair. On the point of a strong following, their international release was only about a week ago. Prior to that it was only out in Canada, and from the sounds of it, on a very limited basis.
    I do think they are on the right track by seeking the communities that are forming, and contacting them like this.

That said I do agree with most of what you said. Free players, even the ones who never pay a thing strengthen a community. Some will contribute to sites like this, build wiki's up, reccomend the game to friends who might pay, and even just by playing the game they make it look that much more active and attractive to potential customers.
    You can see that in the current crop of AAA caliber MMO's. Most of which have gone a long way towards removing restrictions from free players.

You can also see it in the fan sites for the various android games.
    http://www.puzzledragonx.com is a good example. This comes from building a strong following of both free players, and paid players.

SgtGoatweed likes this.
  16. mihok

mihok Level 2

Hey Honorbound Team,

first thx for making this game, i <3 it.

Here some ideas (sorry for my bad english):

1. How about making block mode while using skip turn in a battle? Charakter whos blocking taken less damage like 80, 75, 70% instead of 100%... it will help us for catching monster while waiting for mana :)

2. Change the Capture Ability into a own Skill, and dont waste the first Ability Slot from the Hero. Each Hero need a unique Skill to be different from the other Heros.

3. Heros need Skins, like in the Game League of Legends. paying money or diamonds for skins which will boost a little the Stats or Research Time (just a little little, because of balancing). Plus a new skin will change the Attack Animation *.* cool!!!

4. I buy Diamond for supporting this Game, but you need to change the Price... because the ratio between money and diamonds are not good. Or change the Price what you get with Diamonds example buying Research Time is to much.

5. After playing Level and Level again (grinding) i feel the game could be a little faster ^^ Example: To much loading window, lucky for me i play this game on my Samsung Note 3 which got a really fast cpu. I feel sorry for the guys whos playing it on older devices...

6. Energy System is very slow... pls change it
    Do you guys know the Game "Hereos-War"? Its a Freemium game like yours with Team=Squad, Mission, PvP, RPG, Item etc. the Game have a Energy System, too. But you never feel slow or need to stop Playing because running out of Energy because there is so much things you can do: Mission, PvP, Dungeons, Tower.

7. Its Okay to have Research System but your System take to much Time. If people have to wait days for a Research, i think people will lose interest of the game and leave. And the pay ratio to set time to zero cost to much . I know you guys want to make money with this game, but make it fair and more people will paying for this game.

17. mihok

mihok Level 2

8. Make Different Bag for Rings, Necklace and Charm for better survey

9. Make a Library like a Pokedex in the game Pokemon. Where you can See every Monster you visit and which class, ability, rank, which one you already get and the location where you can catch them

10. Make a better Squad Window where you can see more monsters which you already got

18. crawlkill

crawlkill Level 1

Just checking in to say I'm charmed! Just picked it up half an hour or so ago. On my iPad Mini 2 I've started getting chugging/slowdown after maybe fifteen minutes of play after hitting the mission zones proper. Not much of a bug report, I know, but it's the biggest problem I've seen so far.

Ooh. And fighting the bandit leader at the end of the first set of missions, my main character (black knight) just use his standard attack. He ran forward and hit the guy, then just kind of, uh, kept running in place pressed up against him. Left it that way for 30 seconds or so, clicking things was still responsive but didn't do anything. So...that's a bug!

I've also noticed that if I quit mid-battle the game resumes before that battle. Lets me try to take on difficult encounters repeatedly without risking having to use a revive item. Seems like somethin should be done there.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  19. samuraituretsky

samuraituretsky Level 3

I like the game. Don't like the business model, quality / value for price of purchases, slow energy recharge, or the extremely long research times. I have two simple suggestions:

1. Make energy only be consumed on battles. It's annoying that energy gets consumed for passing through / moving to an empty space and spaces with treasure or coins. I think making only battles consume energy would alleviate a lot of the energy complaints.

2. Un-group team turns. Make the order of turns / attacks be determined by stats of the individual character rather than having all of a team's characters go, then the other team. With the way it is now, the team that gets to go first gets a ridiculously huge advantage.

20. crawlkill

crawlkill Level 1

I have to admit that I've paid $20 in the past for an awful lot more than I got for my $20 spent here! But business models are always hard to hammer out good price points per unit addiction accomplished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.