[Guide] Levelling BB. Why? How? What are the benefits?

Discussion in 'Units' started by Group, May 23, 2014.

1. Group

Group Level 10

Hi all, I figured it would be a good time to write this guide for the main reason: the old guide gives outdated information, primarily suggesting suboptimal places to farm, and neglects a few finer points of BB levelling. I'd like to suggest two improved places to farm, and give a little more up-to-date information.

In this guide, I will explain the following:

• What is BB and SBB?
    • How do you level BB?
    • Where are the best places to farm BB?
    • Rumors of BB levelling that need further verification.
    tl;dr
    Attack BB:
    Mistral - Cave of Flames - Wielder of Fire
    Support BB:
    Mistral - Forest of Beasts - Puppeteer of the Trees
    Heal BB:
    St. Lamia - Blood Forest - Frail Spirit of the Forest
    Alternate maps:
    (Heal + Attack) Mistral - Egor Snowfield - Manipulator of Water - @tajid
    (Attack) Mistral - Monster's Den - Manipulator of the Dark - @jayd0484
    Higher level maps - more zel + goodies:
    (Support + Attack + Heal) St. Lamia - Blood Forest - The World Tree

FAQ/Important Stuff (PLEASE READ):
    • Each sacrificed unit can potentially level up BB once. Hypothetically, 5 units fused could result in 5 BB levels.
    • Random BB levels means you could gain 2 levels with one batch of 5, or none in 100 fusions! (this is sad when it happens)
    • BB levelling becomes harder at higher BB level (9-10 is much, much harder than 3-4, for example).
    • Burst Frogs can be used to guarantee a BB level. It's suggested to just use them for BB 9-10 or so.
    • Sacrificing a similar unit (ex: Geomancer Claris fused to Time Lord Claris) has a much, much higher (possibly guaranteed) chance of successful BB level (verified, ~80% @amireal reply #34)
    • BB level is more likely to succeed during Great and Super Success up! events. (have not verified with strict statistics, but appears to be true in my experience... also http://appinvasion.com/threads/fact-on-leveling-bb.76874/)
    • Elimo, Lancia, Rashil (healers that apply buffs) level up with heal fodder.
    • Levelling up BB requires a LOT of fuses. To save Zel, you'll want to try to level BB at lower levels when fusion is cheap (will cost millions at higher unit levels), or when maxed (max units have the fusion price of a level 20 unit) [Thanks to @Bobus, reply #9].
    What is BB and SBB?

BB

tl;dr: BB does many great things. There's Attack, Support, and Healing BBs.

BB, or Brave Burst, is a character's special ability. Brave bursts can do lots of damage, heal your team, apply very strong buffs to your team, and apply statuses to your opponents team!

There are 3 types of BB, Attack, Support, and Healing. Some BB's have two of these types (usually support + healing).
      • Attack BB deals damage to your opponent.
      • Support BB applies buffs -- increases your stats, or adds elements to your attack.
      • Healing BB restores the HP of your team.
    SBB

tl;dr: SBB is a better version of BB but needs 2 bar fills. Unlock them at 6* and BB level 10.

SBB, or Super Brave Burst, is a secondary Brave Burst that characters will unlock with their 6* evolution. SBB's do everything that BB's do, but will have stronger or alternate effects. SBB's also have the same 3 types (Attack, Support, Healing) that BB's do.

SBB is used in battle after a character's brave burst bar is filled twice. After this, you press the character and drag right-ish. You can tell SBB is used because the spell text will have a gold border.

You will need to unlock SBB by first levelling a character's BB to level 10 (more on this in the next section).

How do you level BB?

tl;dr: Level (S)BB 1-10 by fusing matching fuse fodder (Attack, Support, Healing) to the character you want to level. BB levelling is random :(.

Why level BB?

BB can be levelled from 1-10, and for units you care about you really should try to level them, as their strength increases considerably.
      • Attack BB's increase their damage by ~50%
      • Support BB's increases the strength of buff to a value as much as 100% (possibly more for some characters)
      • Healing BB's increase their healed amount as much as ~50%
    Which effects increase with level of (S)BB?
      • Damage -- if the BB does damage, the damage will increase as you level BB.
      • Heal amount
      • Stat increases - (ATK, DEF, REC, CRIT, SPARK buffs get more powerful as BB levels)
      • Fill rate* -- if the BB would otherwise not improve with BB levelling (see: Tesla, Melchio), the number of crystals required to fill the BB decreases.
      • (Probably) BC + HC drop rate buffs (See: Felneus SBB, Will SBB)
    Which effects do not increase with level of (S)BB?
      • Elemental damage application (eg. Fire element from Michele's BB, Grah Light + Dark buff)
      • Ignore def buff (Dilma)
      • Decrease damage taken by X% (Tesla, Edea SBB, Elimo SBB)
      • Status Immunity (Melchio)
      • Status cleansing (Tree)
      • Fill rate* -- most BB's fill rate's are not affected by BB level (exceptions: see above)
    Levelling BB

Levelling BB is very easy to understand:
      • Identify what type the character you want to level is (Attack, Support, Healing)
      • Fuse a matching BB type unit (realistically speaking, LOTS of units) to that character (Attack -> Attack, Support -> Support, Healing -> Healing)
      • You can see what units level up your char's BB by selecting the char as a base for fusion, then looking at the units whose level flashes in the "SELECT INGREDIENT" menu. Please see @Ja212 's reply #54 for further explanation.
      • If you're lucky, BB will level up!
      • BB level is halved when you evolve (2->1, 10 -> 5).
      • BB level can still increase on maxed units -- the fusion cost will be the same as a level 20 (base) unit.
    Where are the best places to farm BB?

I am a bigger fan of farming Mistral (Mistral) maps, as they are faster, and result in lower level fodder which keeps fusion costs lower. They are also more efficient in terms of fodder / energy spent.

Take a look at the energy/unit stats: you want the lowest number possible.

Attack BB:
    Mistral - Cave of Flames - Wielder of Fire (3 energy, 5 battles, potential 5 attack captures)
    Estimated <1 energy/attack unit
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This map has a higher capture rate than Start of adventure (where you can't capture from the boss fight), I'd estimate the mean captures per run as slightly less than 4.

• 4 units (average) for 3 energy is very good.
    • This map only has attack type fodder (and fire Nymphs, which you will get less than once per run in my experience).
    • You can potentially capture 5 attack type units in this level, which is excellent.

Support BB:
    Mistral - Forest of Beasts - Puppeteer of the Trees (3 energy, 5 battles, potential 5 support captures)
    Estimated ~ 1.5 energy/support unit
    [​IMG] (support) also [​IMG] (heal unit - common capture in battle 5)
    Mandragora is the unit you want here, and you average ~2 per run. 2 support units for 3 energy (1.5 energy/unit) is excellent -- compare this to the previously recommended St. Lamia Earth levels, which would require 6 support unit captures in one run to match this rate. You will also get a fair amount of heal fodder from the boss unit here, though it's not very efficient (>3 energy/heal unit)

(lower energy/unit is better)
    Mistral : 2 support units / 3 energy = 1.5 energy/unit
    St. Lamia: ~4 support units (generous) / 8 energy = 2 energy/unit.

Heal BB:

St. Lamia - Blood Forest - Frail Spirit of the Forest (8 energy, 8 battles, potential 7 support captures)
    Estimated ~ 2.67 energy/unit
    [​IMG]
    Mistral doesn't have any good sites to farm heal fodder in my experience, so I'm going with the old recommendation. In my experience this has <3 fairy captures per run on average, which is not great.
    To test: Morgan - Thief of the Forest

These are not the only maps that are good for levelling BB, merely my suggestions based on my own experience. Here's a few more suggestions:
    • (Heal + Attack) Mistral - Egor Snowfield - Manipulator of Water (credit to @tajid)
    Higher level maps - more zel + goodies, exp, etc:
    • (Support + Attack + Heal) St. Lamia - Blood Forest - The World Tree

Rumors of BB levelling that need further verification
    Take everything in this section with a grain of salt.
    • [Unlikely] Fusing either 1 unit at a time or 5 units at a time is more efficient.
    • [FALSE] BB levelling same element units (fire -> fire) has increased chance of success
    • [TRUE] Using higher starred units (5*>4*>3*) as fodder has a higher chance of success
    • [FALSE] When a BB has two types (Elimo has heal + support), you can fuse either type to level up BB. (debunked by @jevo_28, reply #6).
      • Only one type of pokemon unit will level up a BB, attack > heal > support. These units' levels will flash in the fuse fodder menu.
    • [TRUE] BB is more likely to level up during "fusion success up!" events (increased chance of super and great success)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    Stalcom, CoDiorama, meongu and 38 others like this.
  2. jayd0484

jayd0484 Level 11

Well done.

3. tajid

tajid Level 36

If you are levelling BB of healer & attack at the same time, farming second quest of water, manipulator of water in egor snowfield isn't bad, u'll either get squirty & merman for attack & merith for healer...

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. F1RST

F1RST Level 23

Hey! Great guide and thanks. Was looking for one of this at guide section.

Imo, base from my own experience, bb leveling works better if fuse with same color and higher level units including *s. There are benefits in farming with higher level maps. Why do i say this? You get better exp, items, zel, karma, and higher exp fodder for units. You earn more if you also consider selling units that you do not need (ex:bats,mimic,dragon also decent for exp). Been doing this for some of my units until level 40 and i've not experienced problem with zel due to higher reward rate.

I've also noticed that a unit with SBB is somewhat harder to level if fused with low level units such as burny and friends. I am not arguing nor am i debating what you have mentioned and please correct me i am wrong. This are all base on my own experience which also considers RNG.

Again, thank you for this great guide and would to hear love more from you. Good day

Sorry for bad english or wrong grammar. :)

5. onetouch

onetouch Level 14

Great work, two thumbs up. I suggest listing one or two other alternatives maps for each type of BB farm as a reference (the more commonly cited ones maybe?).

Overall, really detailed and informative. Recommend this thread to be stickied under the Guides section.

6. jevo_28

jevo_28 Level 14

I can help verify your last rumor, but you can't fuse either type to level up BB, it's either one or the other.
    I would've used a better example but, I only had Rashil and Mandragora ready at the time.

Here's a picture - Elimo who has both Healing/Support BB, only accepts the Healing unit to level up BB.

Attached Files:

7. Areez

Areez Level 6

We need to have that BB^UP logo in global :'( hik hik

Drakes Bane likes this.
  8. Group

Group Level 10

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've made the following changes:
    • edited heal/support rumor (thanks jevo_28 for debunking it).
    • @F1RST: It's true that farming a higher level map will give better rewards/potentially make your bb levelling more sustainable (in terms of zel earned/consumed). I'll add this note to the section with some suggestions. Thanks! However, if you're purely trying to get the most bb levels (given unlimited zel), I believe the lower level maps will still be more efficient.
    • @tajid: I'll add manipulator of water as an alternate farming map, thanks for the suggestion!

9. Bobus

Bobus Level 31

Maxed units fuse at the cost of a level 20 unit. So fusing BB fodder to a maxed unut is cheaper than a unit > 20

10. Group

Group Level 10

I was aware this was being introduced -- is this the case on Global as well?

EDIT: checked and verified. Modifying the appropriate section of the guide (FAQ at beginning) with a credit to you. Thanks!

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  11. Bobus

Bobus Level 31

Yw. I think 2 patches ago.

12. NazTehRpR

NazTehRpR Level 35

Added this bookmark to my homescreen gj my dude :D

13. Bryce

Bryce Level 57

Medals:
    Manipulator of dark is also a good fodder location that i have found to give 4-6 fodder for 4 energy with 1 sometimes being a dark nymph, but if you can consistently pull 4 or more units in the fire location it might be better.

So far i am not convinced by wielder of fire. I have been getting 2-3 units so far.

Plitzskin likes this.
  14. jayd0484

jayd0484 Level 11

I decided to collect nymphs while I was BB fodder hunting. Basically, each element dungeon has a great level for farming: it's always the 2nd one and is called either 'manipulator' or 'wielder' of <element>. I now have 5 of each nymph and got felneus from BB3 to SBB 10 today! Yippee!!!:D:D

15. Group

Group Level 10

@ Bryce,

I will probably be grinding fodder on Wednesday. I'll run numbers on Mistral 2-2 and come up with an exact stat; in my experience, you will average at least 3 fodder, I think it's quite rare that I get only 2 drops in a run... but I definitely need to back my observations up with hard data. At some indefinite point in the future, I can give the Manipulator of dark a shot as well. Of course, if you're looking for nymphs as well, then the respective element has an obvious advantage.

16. Bryce

Bryce Level 57

Medals:
    After a bit more farming my rates improved but its still about 1 in 8 runs gives 2 units but that got offset by grabbing 5 at the same rate

I didn't really track any hard data.

Plitzskin likes this.
  17. Group

Group Level 10

That's about on par with what I've observed. I roughly estimated that I got about the same amount of 2 and 5 unit drops, and averaged to (>3) which I felt like was conservative. Nonetheless, I do not believe any other map, including Manipulator of Dark, can match this ratio (manipulator of dark would need >4 per run since it costs an extra energy), but I need to do further testing.

18. Bryce

Bryce Level 57

Medals:
    Its close dark may have just tricked me cause when I started I got 6 units like 6 times in s row but I have started to grab 3 units recently

Plitzskin likes this.
  19. Sumpner

Sumpner Level 45

Thanks for the guide, unlocking Gribu SBB was a breeze with this.

20. jayd0484

jayd0484 Level 11

the light dungeon, Mirza or something, also requires 4. But you also get an extra battle for that energy.