Galactic War Retreat Removed?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes' started by TheBeard, Jan 14, 2016.

1. TheBeard

TheBeard Level 24

I finished GW pre-update, but I've seen some rumblings around that the retreat function now revives and restores all health to the opposing team, but the player stays the same. Any confirmations? If so... I can see this really sucking unless there was a balance in difficulty.

Only asking cuz it wasn't in the patch notes, but like I said, I've heard some rumblings.

2. EllBringa

EllBringa Level 44

Medals:
    Checking.

Edit: confirm
    Test: killed a Lumi, damaged a Consular
    Retreat.
    Load battle again. Surprisngly, my downed units were accessible again.
    Battle loaded: Lumi back at HP the previous battle was.

TLDR: retreat is essentially a cancellation of whatever you did pre-retreat.

3. Electricboa

Electricboa Level 26

That would be very bad. I end up having to regularly fight 4-5 teams full of level 60 Gear VII characters. Retreating has become a strategy for me when I hit Vader or Phasma teams to take the punch out of their skills.

I guess I'm lucky I finished my Phasma today. I don't need Poggle as much, so I can afford to have GW get harder without it hurting me too much.

4. TheBeard

TheBeard Level 24

Got my Phasma to 5* today, glad I did it before update. Been reading the post over on the ea forums. One of the developers gave some reasoning on why they did it (second post down I think) https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/6111/you-cant-retreat-anymore-on-gw/p4

While I think I understand their reasoning, this will make it extremely difficult moving forward. It was hard enough the old way when I'd come across a squad with level 60, 6* characters, being level 55 and only two 5* myself.

5. Mongrel

Mongrel Level 22

It's not as bad as it seems. Retreat allows the player to begin the match from the start of the last time the battle started.

It can help prevent rng crits or unlucky stuns and you can come back with your healer still alive. The previous retreat didn't work as a reset button.

6. EllBringa

EllBringa Level 44

Medals:
    Problem: it has been shown previously that GW isn't as random as it seems. Ie RNGs aren't really RNGs.

TheBeard likes this.
  7. Mongrel

Mongrel Level 22

I think the original battle is still rng but the seed remains the same. It can be reseeded by changing positioning (I believe) or changing out 1 toon (I've tested this).

8. roadburn12

roadburn12 Level 34

Well I always just force quit instead of retreating so now that they made the retreat act in the same way it just speeds up what iv been doing

9. TheBeard

TheBeard Level 24

I'm willing to play it out for a few days at this point. I understand why they did it, it wasn't being used as intended. Since having a force close penalty would be unfair to those who have bad internet connections (me) or stupid phones, they decided to change the part that was under their control. Still hoping for a balance in the AI in the future, cuz my A and B teams won't be able to survive more than a couple 60, VIII Dooku/Sid/Lumi teams each

10. TheBeard

TheBeard Level 24

Well, I managed to do it today. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

11. Electricboa

Electricboa Level 26

I'm in the same boat. I got by today, but it was a real pain. It had to hae taken me twice as long because I got trapped half way through (where the full power teams started for me) with a Barriss almost knocked out. I had to have done two dozen battles trying to get her healed. And you know what else pissed me off? There was one guy who had this team:

Phasma (Leader)
    FOTP
    Ewok Elder
    Poe
    Luminara

That was just plain cruel. I'd knock out FOTP and then Poe would taunt. Then the Ewok would bring the FOTP back and Luminara would heal him to full health. And this was the 4th or 5th battle from the end, so it wasn't like I was almost done. They need to bring back the old system or offer some kind of full heal. It just got a lot harder, and I can't imagine people who didn't already have a strong team doing well.

12. TheBeard

TheBeard Level 24

Yeah it's definitely tougher. I would never have made it through at lvl 40 without the old retreat option. Gonna be really tough for them

13. jkfp19

jkfp19 Level 19

Not 100% sure but they might have bumped the rewards too. Always 800 (or was it 1000?) GW tokens before per set. Pretty sure I got 1700 last night

14. Mongrel

Mongrel Level 22

Should be 1200 for a full clear.

15. Electricboa

Electricboa Level 26

Still 1200 for me.

My problem is I can make it through, but I'm afraid to lose anyone while doing it, just in case I need them later on.

16. jkfp19

jkfp19 Level 19

Yeah I just finished it today and it feels horrible. I didn't need to force close before and now I find myself retreating so much to reset. Went from loving GW to considering not doing it

17. Electricboa

Electricboa Level 26

I'll still do it. I mean I want those GW Tokens. Even after I get Poggle, I'll want to do others like IG-86, Biggs, and the Nightsister. It seems like the fastest characters to star up are from the GW. And they drop a lot of other useful stuff. The credits are nice, but I need a lot of Tier III Ability Mats. That probably holds more of my characters back than anything. I have a bunch of Gear VII ones, but can only really afford to keep my PvP team up to date with attacks.

I've found I end up using FOTP more in GW now. I can sacrifice him to take out a particularly annoying enemy. Poe is also nice for similar reasons. The thing that saves me the most is the AI. I can't tell you how many Vaders I encounter that do Force Choke and then don't following through with the saber throw. Barriss has turned out to be the best one to use in GW. I've been farming her and am very happy with how useful she's turned out to be.

18. Mongrel

Mongrel Level 22

I still like it though. While I do retreat, I come back with a different team member and am able to try out varying strategies.

The old way was able to be just as easily abused. Wait for the opposing phasma/poggle/poe to pop the long CD, offensive buff and then retreat back out to remove the buff. Similarly, bounce out if Sid debuffed me so I can get my heal off. Additionally, it was easy to abuse speedy characters. I could hit with qgj, Sid, and GS and then my opponent would get 1 attack before lumi goes and I could just bounce out and repeat.

Both have pros and both have cons. I am equally happy with the current iteration as the rewards are worth it.

19. jkfp19

jkfp19 Level 19

I was just frustrated. I spent 30 minutes trying to beat a match where I'd lose 3 of my A team characters (all full health) before getting a single attack

20. Mongrel

Mongrel Level 22

Agreed. It can be frustrating. That's when subbing in new players changes it up. I made it through today and only last daka on the 11th battle. But I knew I had 2 other healers on the bench just eager to play.

I had a tough battle on stage 9 or 10 where I had to swap out an 'A' lister and also change my leader in order to defeat the battle. I enjoyed having to employ new techniques to win.