Damn, I finally think of coming back and it’s all over?

Discussion in 'General' started by Space Kook, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Space Kook

Space Kook Level 33

I’m honestly surprised it lasted as long as it did, but it’s still a bummer seeing any mobile game die since once they’re dead, they’re reeeally fuckin’ dead... Oh well, the game peaked for me with the early Genosis Arena event and 3* Nexu never stopped being my favorite card (A 3* THAT COULD CONTEND WITH A BASE 5*?!?! WHAT SITH TRICKERY WAS THIS???). Well, that and the introduction of Blizzard-1 which let me slap together barebones formations that could wipe out mid tier decks pretty easily (I ran two more accounts in LaW doing this, funny stuff).

It’s kinda sad to say this was one of my last great Star Wars experiences over the recent years... though I quit before things REALLY got out of hands it seems lol

• Clone Wars was stellar towards it’s later half but ended while I was still playing SWTFC (hope the new season will be good), so that’s only a second-to-last great experience.

• Rebels was... fine, definitely hurt by the lack of Lucas cash and some dumbing down of plots for the sake of a younger audience (Clone Wars had the latter pretty bad early on but got better) and some characters didn’t have quite the endings I would have preferred.

• Awakens was ok but felt like treading water and had an unhealthy dose of Abram’s “DON’T THINK ABOUT IT BRO” handwaving bullshit. Like, a LOT.

• Rogue One was enjoyable, but felt entirely unnecessary and there were too many coincidences for my liking (IT’S THE GUYS FROM THE CANTINA SCENE! WHOA, IT ALL LEADS DIRECTLY INTO ANH? Just crap like that). Also K-2SO is even worth remembering as a character, though I did enjoy the darker overall tone of the film.

• TLJ... yuck, even ignoring the hamfisted messages and spitting on lore/old fans it was just a poorly made movie that meandered too much with it’s crawling plot and failed to give it’s characters from the first film any real development (or at least, any sensible development).

• Solo is the first Star Wars film I skipped seeing. Heard it was okay and while some people rolled their eyes at the thought of a robot fighting for droid’s rights this particular issue of droid sentience always intrigued me, I mean droid sentience is handled very strangely in universe where it’s just a casual by-product of poor maintenance practices. Regardless, I still don’t have any interest in seeing it. :/

• Video games are a fucking wasteland for the IP. Remember when Star Wars games were released fairly regularly on most platforms, and every Star Wars game was a crapshoot of either being mediocre or a serious GOTY contender? Though I suppose the downfall started in the 7th gen, well before Disney decided EA was the safest company to entrust the Star Wars license to. Mobile still has some options, but it’s mostly clones of preexisting games (and I can’t really trust anything after Disney gave the axe to two games months after they launched).

That’s it for my little ramble, just wanted to leave one last post here a few months too late. In the end I guess all we have are memories... and eventually we’ll begin to forget those as well.

hammy~the~hamsta and Apollyon like this.
  2. Ed M

Ed M Level 31

Hey! Came here to check on the state of the game, I played a little over a year until they started like double super awakenings. Was quite enjoyable until that, was kind of hoping they could hit a "reset" button at some point and hang on for a bit. Check it every 3 months or so but it looked on life support last time.
    Only commented on this because I agree with your rant pretty much spot on. And my biggest issue with TLJ isn't necessarily that's it's bad, it's the huge group of people telling everyone who thinks it's bad that theyre wrong... Umm...I didn't like it. It's not that I don't understand it's super deep, trope breaking, ultra hip better then everyone themes. It's because it's trash, and doesn't follow the spirit of Star Wars (the movie that IT IS) at all.
    Think I remember you, I mostly play hearthstone and Brave Exvius now but this game will always have a special mobile/SW piece of my heart.

hammy~the~hamsta likes this.
  3. hammy~the~hamsta

hammy~the~hamsta Level 59

It is sad with the current state of star wars. Games are few and far between and are mostly direct Disney or EA, both of which are pretty shady in terms of intent. They aren't there to make a game, just money. Really making me miss this game, even with its bad aspects.
    The movies are also pretty dismal. After TLJ I too didn't feel like seeing solo, and I ended up skipping on it also. No idea what the plot line is even. Haven't cared.

4. GiantPenguinCavalier

GiantPenguinCavalier Level 46

Han gets a taste of the intergalactic smuggler life and jumps in head first, and he gets the falcon. oh and they bring a nice tie-in with TCW/Rebels. the end.

5. Hu Chi

Hu Chi Level 41

You and the rest of the world.

Did anyone ever think a Star Wars movie could actually LOSE money?

6. hammy~the~hamsta

hammy~the~hamsta Level 59

When the trailers only came out like a month before hand I realized that could be the case. And I was thoroughly enthused when it was. Disney realized they actually have to work for money, and the title won't just make it all back.

7. GiantPenguinCavalier

GiantPenguinCavalier Level 46

i saw Solo shortly after it came out. i thought it was a good movie overall for a low-stakes affair. i mean, we knew han, chewy, and lando would all survive, so theres only so much drama you can create out of a story in which you already know the outcome. it served well as a summer blockbuster, but if you try to view it through the same prism that we analyze any of the actual star wars episodes, then yes, it's a 'failure' in that respect -- but mostly because its not supposed to be that type of movie, and not because it was inherently a bad movie.

I think the two biggest factors that hampered Solo' performance at the box office really had little to do with the movie itself: that its release date was only 5 months after the previous one (call it 'star wars fatigue' -- Disney saw the success it has been reaping from the Marvel franchise, thought it could do the same with Star Wars, but theres a variety of reasons why Marvel has been successful with multiple movies a year that are hard to apply to the Star Wars franchise) and that the backlash of TLJ was still raging and distracted enough people from seeing Solo.

btw, Alden Ehrenreich has two more Solo movies in his contract so... they can make this into a trilogy if Disney decides to. given the way this one ended, i'm intrigued enough to where i'd be open to it, but i wont be clamoring for it.