Aren't skills that don't do damage useless?

Discussion in 'Character Discussions' started by AvengerVision, Dec 13, 2015.

1. AvengerVision

AvengerVision Level 4

Maybe I'm missing something (I'm sure people will correct me), but aren't skills that don't actively do damage useless? I'm talking about Quake, Cap, Winter Soldier, Black Cat, etc (generally the 3rd skill unlocked). It *seems* that these heroes can't take down bosses as quickly as those who actively hit and damage the boss or other characters, and the most annoying thing is how long it takes to activate. I've seen these heroes take loads of damage while this third skill remains disengaged, ie, the cool-down has passed and instead of activating the skill, the character will use their L1, L2, L4, L5 skills and only when there's a break will the L3 skill engage. It's really frustrating! And this is probably another thread, but I hate how you can tap it to try to activate it, but the game just ignores you. I've tapped this skill, which is ready for action, 10-20 times, and it doesn't matter how many times I click it/tap it, I refuses to activate! These L3 skills seem useless, IMHO.

2. pkscout

pkscout Level 8

Those skills aren't useless, but you do have to understand what they do to figure out when to activate them. I do agree that the AI doesn't tend to activate them well, but I've never had a problem tapping the skill once available and having it activate. Many of them are best activated as early as you can, as they increase the character's overall skill for the duration of the skill. Many of them are damage increases (Quake, Black Cat) and some are defensive (Scarlett Witch and, I think Captain America). A few (like Groot) are best saved. Groot in particular heals himself, so I usually wait to activate it until I've taken some damage. In story mode the level 3 skill is available immediately when a character tags in (unless you've rotated through the tagged players faster than the skill refresh). In timeline battle some of the skills for the first player don't activate immediately, but any character after the first one gets all their skills available immediately.

3. AvengerVision

AvengerVision Level 4

I have a new iPad and a new iPhone 6s Plus, and it's the same on both: tapping each icon multiple times (up to 20) does nothing for many of the skills, hence having to tap up to 20 times before it activates, and FWIW, this was the same on my old iPad and iPhone 5s, so I know it's not my kit but the game itself. :(
    I'd like to believe that the skills really do boost the attack points or reduce the damage taken, but I remain dubious as to how much they're worth. For example, if I hit a boss 5 times with Daredevil's 5 skills, do I really do the same damage with Quake's 4 skills while 'More Bang for your Punch' is active? Hmmm.

4. Boshka

Boshka Guest

You can turn off the auto play and not use the ai at all

5. AvengerVision

AvengerVision Level 4

There is no Auto-Play in the ARENA Team-Up Battles?

6. pkscout

pkscout Level 8

No, you have to actually play that part.

7. AvengerVision

AvengerVision Level 4

Yes. So, my point is that when I'm playing, eg, in the Team-Up battles, the controls are still unresponsive, ie, I have to tap a Skill 10-20 times for it to activate. Ergo, if it's not AutoPlay and it's not my new iPhone or iPad, then it must be the game. :(

8. ryan4nayr

ryan4nayr Level 13

I like to blame server lag for this, although it's more likely the perfect storm of lagginess -- network, graphical, client software.

Fortunately, you don't have to spend gold on those self buff skills if you don't like using them. Netmarble does hear you though, some costumes add an evasive motion while giving the buff upon activation of the skill.

Apollyon likes this.